Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IPA - clearing methods & quality techniques

Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #21
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I get really clear IPA's by keeping it simple.

I keep most of the crap from going into the fermenter when I brew.

I use Irish moss, or Whirlfloc in the boil.

I ferment them out, anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks.. Depends on beer, the gravity and my schedule.

Skip the secondary- I keg it right to the keg, put the dry hop in a bag in the keg and leave it for a week. Then I put the gas on it and carbonate it. After another week, it's carbed, and I pull the dry hops.. First one or two pulls have some haze but after that.. it's pretty darn clear. I don't have to handle it a bunch, and I keep all the hop oils and aroma in the keg where I want it to be when I serve it. Aroma and head are usually great!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 AM   #22
BrewToHeugh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I get really clear IPA's by keeping it simple.

I keep most of the crap from going into the fermenter when I brew.

I use Irish moss, or Whirlfloc in the boil.

I ferment them out, anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks.. Depends on beer, the gravity and my schedule.

Skip the secondary- I keg it right to the keg, put the dry hop in a bag in the keg and leave it for a week. Then I put the gas on it and carbonate it. After another week, it's carbed, and I pull the dry hops.. First one or two pulls have some haze but after that.. it's pretty darn clear. I don't have to handle it a bunch, and I keep all the hop oils and aroma in the keg where I want it to be when I serve it. Aroma and head are usually great!

deff going to use to irish moss next time but i feel a lil indifferent about adding chemical agents like tablets or such.

Like an idiot i used a 5gal carboy with a 5gal brew. so i took care of the overflow but the kreusen is like caking at the top. which is why i wanted to use a secondary for a like a week.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #23
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewToHeugh View Post
deff going to use to irish moss next time but i feel a lil indifferent about adding chemical agents like tablets or such.

Like an idiot i used a 5gal carboy with a 5gal brew. so i took care of the overflow but the kreusen is like caking at the top. which is why i wanted to use a secondary for a like a week.
I don't know what chemical agents you are talking about, Irish Moss and Whirlfloc are the same thing. One is just ground up and has some other protein coagulators in there. It's all natural.

The krausen will fall, the crust won't do anything but dry up if it's not wet. If it's wet, it'll fall into the beer and settle out.

If you want to secondary go for it.. It won't make a huge difference in the clarity of the beer, but it shouldn't hurt it as long as your sanitation is good.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #24
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Just wanted to show that you don't have to go wild with all the ways to clear a beer.

I used whirlfloc in the boil at like 10 minutes. I actually let it ferment for like.. 9 or 10 days maybe? Didn't cold crash, didn't secondary. Put it right into the keg, added 3 ounces of leaf hops to the bag and tossed it in there. Started drinking it in a week.

The logo is on the OTHER side of the glass, and with a crap iphone camera you can see the logo pretty clear on the other side.

And it's gone.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #25
BrewToHeugh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Just wanted to show that you don't have to go wild with all the ways to clear a beer.

I used whirlfloc in the boil at like 10 minutes. I actually let it ferment for like.. 9 or 10 days maybe? Didn't cold crash, didn't secondary. Put it right into the keg, added 3 ounces of leaf hops to the bag and tossed it in there. Started drinking it in a week.

The logo is on the OTHER side of the glass, and with a crap iphone camera you can see the logo pretty clear on the other side.

And it's gone.

thats an excellent clear beer you got there. head is looking pretty good too.
this just made me thirsty

Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #26
gcdowd
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Irish moss in the boil. Week in the keg, pour out the first pint, this is the result. Label on the glass is on the other side
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130109_192455.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	93266  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #27
BrewToHeugh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Irish moss in the boil. Week in the keg, pour out the first pint, this is the result. Label on the glass is on the other side
What do you have there?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
gcdowd
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

What do you have there?
A pale ale made with all Aramis hops.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
jimmy_chitwood
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Currently fermenting Brewers Best IPA
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&hl=en&ct=clnk

Kit mentioned to move to 2nd fermenter after a week but after reading alot on here about just a longer primary stage I decided to try it on this batch.

its just about two weeks and its still cloudy as hell! After skimming through some threads on here it looks like its normal for IPA's because of the amount of dry hops but Ive also come across some interesting points like;

adding agents to help clear

cold crashing

moving to secondary (with good results)

just leaving it in primary until it beings to clear (might lose flavor?)

Was hopping someone with alot of IPA experience could tell me what the best thing to do to help clear. I understand the cloudiness most likely wont affect the quality but doing something about it might...

so.... are there any techniques that can improve the quality of my IPA while assisting in clarity?

thanks my fellow brewers
sorry if this has been already said, but i've been using irish moss(last 15 mins of boil) the last few times i brew IPA's and has done wonders!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
jimmy_chitwood
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_chitwood View Post
sorry if this has been already said, but i've been using irish moss(last 15 mins of boil) the last few times i brew IPA's and has done wonders!
Yep, sorry, all I had to do was look at the last post before mine! Happy Hopping...