Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Will beer age in a cold keg?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
StroudCreek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Will beer age in a cold keg?

I am about to brew a Chocolate Milk Extra Stout, the guy that gave me the recipe said let it age for a month after bottling. I plan to put mine in a keg, my question is..........will the beer age in a cold keg?

On Tap - Bama Blond, Cream Ale, Chocolate Stout, Buleberry Hefeweizen, Little Piggy IPA

Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
ZenBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't have any scientific data to say it will, but i notice that some of my beers will age for the better in a cold keg. Those ones will taste the best right as i run out!

I don't know if they would have aged the same way sitting at room temp.

If you want, you could age it in the keg at room temp. I'm doing that with a peach mead now that will be ready in May.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Give it a few weeks in primary to finish fermentation and mellow a bit and then get it in a cold keg on CO2. I've had beers in primary for months only to have them change for the better significantly after being on CO2 in the keezer for a few weeks. My beers are also always better at the end of the keg so i like to try to get them on gas as soon as possible.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
m1k3
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 81

The only science I have done is kegging an botteling on the same day.

The bottles sit in the closet for two weeks (65-70F) and the beer goes on tap (35F).

The bottled beer tastes better after that two weeks. My beer on tap need a week or two to get to the same level of conditioning (for the green beer taste to go away).

Other factors to consider...
- Bigger beers take longer to mature
- Time in bulk aging (or longer fermentation) can help
- Cold storage in a keg is a form of lagering and will cause yeast, hops, particles to drop out
(like chumpsteak says this can make certain beers taste better over time)

Primary 1.062 FG T-58 Imperial Belgian Pale Ale