Need c02 advice please - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Need c02 advice please

Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
crazzydave
Recipes 

Nov 2012
macdowall, saskatchewan canada

There is two kinds of c02 avalable to me.
Beer co2 at 75 dollars for 20lb
Beverage c02 at 48 dollars for 20lb
I would like to know if they both would work for home brew.
Thanks Dave

Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
AlCophile
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Strafford, New Hampshire
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

crazzydave:
I am planning to try keg-carbonation myself, so I recently spoke with an AirGas manager, who told me that they offer pure CO2 for more-highly carbonated types of beer, BUT....a blend of CO2 and another gas such as nitrogen(maybe argon) for stouts, which are less-highly CO2-nated. He said overcarbonation of the heavier beers causes them to turn entirely to foam. Ask before paying.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Keyrock, WV
Liked 145 Times on 103 Posts

At those prices you are probably paying rent on their cylinder. A welding shop around here charges $11.00 to refill my 10 lb CO2 cylinder. You probably only need beer gas for stouts to create a head while keeping the carbonation low.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
crazzydave
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Thanks for reply
Which one are you going with.
dave

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Wow, crazzydave is getting graped and AlCophile is getting bad info from AirGas.

Beer Gas is a CO2/Nitrogen mix most commonly used in stouts where you want the cascading effect and a very thick head. It's 100% NOT necessary for use in dispensing 'heavier beers'. Beer gas is used AFTER a stout has already been carbonated with CO2 since the nitrogen level (typically 75-80%) will prevent CO2 from entering the beer in keg.

Have a balanced system (which works for the pressures you'll be using) will result in NOT getting tons of foam for all beers. I use CO2 for my porters, browns, pale ales, IPAs, etc. Basically ALL my beers are put on tap and carbonated at a CO2 pressure set that works best for the style. Figuring that out is key.

A good many of us have found that fire extinguisher shops (those that recharge the CO2 ones) are a GREAT source for CO2. The 'purity level' of CO2 isn't an issue from these sources, since they're within a few thousandths of a percentage of the one the AirGas managed told AlCophile about.

BTW, I paid $17 to get my 20# CO2 tank filled at a fire extinguisher place. They fill up 5# tanks for $10 and 10# tanks for $12.
IMO, the AirGas guy was trying to scare AlCophile into over-paying for the CO2 they sell.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
crazzydave
Recipes 

Nov 2012

No other choice in the middle of no where.
So i want pure c02 then .
This is for ales and rootbeer.
Thanks dave

Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzydave View Post
No other choice in the middle of no where.
So i want pure c02 then .
This is for ales and rootbeer.
Thanks dave
That just sucks. If I was you I'd seriously look into fermenting under pressure to reduce how much CO2 you'll use.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
Nightshade
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Richland, WA
Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts

At those prices I would just bottle it all and be done with it.

At work we serve everything in regular co2 but every once in a great while with a big stout we get the beer mix. Unless its big and thick I wouldn't bother (I know..."thats what she said").

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
cclloyd

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Largo, Florida
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

I just checked into it here in Tampa and I found 10LB refills ranging from $22 - $40.
All of them want it dropped off and can pick up a couple hours later. What's the deal with that? I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that it was similar to a propane refill.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
I just checked into it here in Tampa and I found 10LB refills ranging from $22 - $40.
All of them want it dropped off and can pick up a couple hours later. What's the deal with that? I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that it was similar to a propane refill.
It is at a fire extinguisher place, or at least it is with the decent (or better) ones. I would make sure you find a way to identify your actual tank, unless you don't care if you don't get it back.

Fermenting
K1: