Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottling Rochefort 10 clone with yeast saved from starter

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
AaronParker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottling Rochefort 10 clone with yeast saved from starter

Hello all, this is my first post so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I've searched for an answer to my question and can't find one so here it goes.
I'm brewing an extract Rochefort 10 clone from a kit and decided after reading BLAM that I was going to try adding fresh yeast at bottling. Rather than buying more yeast, I decided to save some from my starter. I made a larger-than-needed starter, took a liter of the starter, cooled it for a few days, decanted the beer and poured it into a sanitized jar with boiled cooled water. This yeast has been in my fridge since Nov. 18th (about 6 weeks).
The beer had an OG of 1.111, fermented for 9 days to 1.021
Cold crashed for 6 days in primary, then racked to secondary with Isinglass
It's been in the secondary at ~50-60C since Dec 2nd (4.5 weeks).

Here's the question:
Can I pitch the yeast straight from the fridge into the bottling bucket or should I make a starter first?

I am concerned that pitching hibernating yeast into a hostile environment (~12% ABV) would shock them.
I thought about making a starter and pitching it at high krausen, but then I'd be adding un-fermented sugars at bottling and that would be bad.
Also, I only need about 20 billion cells so how big a starter should I make?

Second un-related question:
The kit comes with 4.5oz of corn sugar for priming, which would get me to 2.75 volumes of CO2. I want to carb this to 3.5 volumes of CO2. Can I add cane sugar (1.7oz) to make up the difference or should I stick to corn sugar?

I am using WYEAST 1762

Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
ultravista
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Hi Aaron, welcome to HomeBrewTalk.

Where did you get the R10 kit? Please post the details.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

You're pushing 12% alcohol now. The yeast is only tolerant to about 12%. You may (I am new, so someone else should confirm or contradict) want to pitch a different yeast that is more alcohol tolerant.

Or force carb in a keg and bottle from there...

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
AaronParker
Recipes 

I got the kit from Austin Homebrew Supply, but I made a few tweaks

Steeping Grains:
1/4 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb Munich Malt
11 oz Cara Munich Malt
2oz Biscuit Malt

Extract/Sugar:
13 lb Extra Plae Extract (the recipe had 15lbs. but I substituted 2 lbs with candi sugar) - 60 min
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar (rocks) - 10 min
1 lb D Candi Syrup - 10 min
1 lb D2 Candi Syrup - 10 min

Hops:
3/4 oz. Styrian Golding - 60 min
1.25 oz. German Hersbrucker - 60 min
1/4 oz Styrian Golding - 5 min
1/2 oz German Hersbrucker - 5 min

Other (these wer not included in the kit):
4 tsp. crushed coriander - 10 min
2 tsp. yeast nutrient - 10 min

The recipe called form Wyeast 3787, but I used 1762 instead since it is supposed to be the Rochefort yeast.

The fermentation started at 68, but it was very vigorous and climbed to 80+ before I realized it. I cooled it back down to 68, then ramped it back up to 72-73 to finish the fermentation.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
AaronParker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
You're pushing 12% alcohol now. The yeast is only tolerant to about 12%. You may (I am new, so someone else should confirm or contradict) want to pitch a different yeast that is more alcohol tolerant.

Or force carb in a keg and bottle from there...
That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. The real Rochefort 10 is closer to 11%. I suppose I could pitch some champagne yeast to carb it.

I can't force carb it, I don't have the equipment. Besides bottle conditioning is an important aspect of this style. That's also why I'm hesitant to bottle condition with a different yeast.

I could fill a test bottle with my theif. I have a plastic coke bottle I use to test if my beer is carbing. I could fill that and wait a few weeks to see if it carbs. It would cost me some time, but it's better than ending up with 5 gal of flat beer.