Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Blueberry Vanilla in the bucket

Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Wildbill001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blueberry Vanilla in the bucket

I wish I could remember where I got the original recipe so I could credit those folks with the inspiration. Alas, I did not write that down. Here is my interpretation of their Blueberry Vanilla Mead

Recipe:
6lbs frozen, whole blueberries
4oz Real Vanilla extract
8lbs Honey (Kroger brand--it was on sale and I've used it before with good results)
1lb Clover honey (left over from something else--why not)
1 1/2 teaspoon Pectin Enzyme
About 4g of Fermaid-K (didn't measure that real close but should have)
Red Star Champagne Yeast
4 gals water

Method:
Pulse-blended the blueberries, i.e., did not completely puree just busted them up a bit.
Warmed Honey to about 120-140F, to make it easier to pour.
While honey was warming, added the pectin to the smashed blueberries. Let that sit in the bucket, covered for 30-45min at room temp (about 73F)
Made a starter and let that sit while the pectin was doing it's thing (see below).
After 30-45min, added 4 gals of water, stirred and agitated very well to oxygenate.
Poured in the honey. Stirred and agitated more.
Dumped the starter.
Took a sample and got a SG of 1.084
"Punching the cap" and stirring for the first 3 days. Had to let it sit for 4 days unattended.

Yeast Starter:
Placed 3 tablespoons of blueberry into 2 1/2 cups warm (about 85F) water.
Added 3 tablespoons of honey.
Dash of Fermaid-K
Yeast.
Shook for about 2min and let it sit for about 45min.

Smells wonderful and has been in the bucket now, loosely covered for 1 week. Berries are slowly disintegrating, i.e., some were still hole and floated to the top initially. Now, just parts are floating.

NOW, here is my dilemma. When I copied the original recipe, I did not copy the full method (DOH!). I also can't seem to find my copy of Complete Meadmaker. So:
  • I seem to remember reading in this forum that I should keep it in the primary until the berries fall to the bottom?
  • I should also, by now, add more Fermaid-K or DAP and keep agitating?
  • Anything else I should do?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions are always welcome.

Bill W

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I only keep. Mine in my bucket for Max 10 days. Or till i hit 1/3 break then rack to my glass carboy and step feed 1/2 table spoon per gallon ...make sure to stir it gently before you at the nutrients or toying can have a blow out and make sure its topped up

Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jack are you saying that you only keep your fruit in for the first 10 days cause then you move to a carboy? Or do you move your fruit into the carboy as well? Asking because I always move from primary (bucket) to secondary (carboy) around 1.000 and sometimes it can be such a fast ferment that the fruit is only in for 10-14 days.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I will add second batch of fruit or juice to secondary.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Wildbill001
Recipes 

Racked into the secondary this afternoon. Gravity was 1.058. Of course I tasted it!
Pretty hot as you would expect. Blueberry taste is barely there but still I really liked it. Not too sweet which is what I was going for.

Racking was not fun as the fun pieces kept clogging the siphon/wine-thief. Ended up with just over 3 gals from the original 4. Now I have to decide whether I want to add blueberry juice, more berries, or just leave it alone. THIS is probably the hardest part of mead-making as far as I am concerned. 2nd hardest part is the waiting. I'm intending to let this age until Thanksgiving--we'll see how that works out.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Wildbill001
Recipes 

Yeasties seem to be slowing down a bit. I've moved the 2ndary into a cooler (about 65-68F) area that is also darker.

Smells good!