If I re-lived life I'be a hippy. - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > If I re-lived life I'be a hippy.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #91
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

You know without conflict and desperate times, there would be very little advancement for my earliest days.
Many many great inventions came about as a result of the need with war or out of your brutality.

Who knows, that could have been a great trade off but nearly all major advancements have some link to war or at the very least extreme hardship and trying to survive.
Medicine alone would be hundreds of years behind without war and torture from days gone by.

Do all of the wonderful things in our world make it worth the price? Who knows where we would be right now if we were a peaceful by nature.
We will never know.

Not just as someone that has to get by in this world, but as a dad I can say that I wish our world was a much safer and more peaceful place right now.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Dan Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #92
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2204 Times on 1381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Dan, the more of your posts I read the more I like you.

Haha

We ought to get together and brew someday. I'm in Hanford.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #93
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3707 Times on 3179 Posts

Well,I'm an aging hypster. Now what? where do I go from here? And free love,yeah,I wish...nothin was ever free. Save for some good chit bein passed around. Then the fat or ugly chicks started thinkin they were good lookin after a lot of weed,alkyhol,etc. Then they looked at me,skinny,young,dumb,& full of ***,...
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #94
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Well,I'm an aging hypster. Now what? where do I go from here? And free love,yeah,I wish...nothin was ever free. Save for some good chit bein passed around. Then the fat or ugly chicks started thinkin they were good lookin after a lot of weed,alkyhol,etc. Then they looked at me,skinny,young,dumb,& full of ***,...
Sounds like you had to pay with your dignity

Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #95
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3707 Times on 3179 Posts

Especially since it was there party a few times...
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #96
fenderbass
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Amity, Oregon
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Anti-Gun, anti-military, anti-capitalist communists (that's why dirty smelly hippies live in "Communes").
Dirty and bug-infested. Hate working. Squatters, beggers, bums....
no thanks

Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #97
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass View Post
Anti-Gun, anti-military, anti-capitalist communists (that's why dirty smelly hippies live in "Communes").
Dirty and bug-infested. Hate working. Squatters, beggers, bums....
no thanks
I'm pretty sure a bunch of hippies went to college and became succesful, contributing individuals. Anti-war does not equal anti-military. My Dad was a big hippy back in the day. I grew up with guns and hunting and he set a great example for me with his strong work ethic. He's a libertarian, not a communist and I don't remember any crazy bug infestations (except for when my sister and I got head lice from day care). I think the group you are referring to are freeloaders. They tend to blend in with whatever crowd they're hanging out with.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

People Like This 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #98
Cromwell
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Hippies don't smell, by the way. People who smelled gravitated towards the hippie movement because hippies were more accepting than other people. Unfortunately, people who were leeches on society also gravitated towards the movement, and a few bad apples destroyed the image, making "hippy" synonymous with "dirty", "theiving", and "drugged out".

The hippy movement was reactionary; it was a reaction to the strait-laced culture of the 50's, where you had to conform, supported wars fought solely for the purpose of the government and big business (not for freedom), and lost freedom of expression. The movement was marginalized by the general movement of the entire populace more towards the center. The hippy movement was just as radical as the right-wing extremism it opposed, no more and no less.

People Like This 
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #99
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 498 Times on 386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamoto Tsunetomo
It is said that what is called "the spirit of an age" is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.
early 1700's or so
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

"A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #100
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2204 Times on 1381 Posts

Cause....