Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > hole punching for heating elements

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
warthog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

there is a hf near me, i just looked up the set, $24.99 now. for up to 10 gauge mild steel. it might not last long, but keggles are stainless. i have some bayou classic 44 qt pots, not sure of the gauge, i'll have to look it up

Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

step bits take way too long, you basically drill 8 holes. i've been using hole saws with great success for both weldless and silver soldered applications. done in about 30 seconds with a little cutting oil. occasionally i do hook the step bit up afterwards to do a little deburring on the hole

Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
ComeOnNow
Recipes 

Ive used step bits, hole saws and knockouts, and in my limited experience, i would put hole saws at the bottom of the list. But in all fairness i dont have a drill press.

A step bit to make a hole big enough for a knockout is my preferred method, mainly because the end result is so clean. You just have to rub it with sandpaper for like 30 seconds, and voila! A perfect hole.

The step bits really leave a lot of burrs, and the hole saw walks too easily. Once i get a drill press i might change my mind though.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Everyone thinks they will drill a hole or two and then be one and done. My experience is that I've changed my brewery so much over the years that I've used the hole punch an insane number of times, from moving to bottom drain keggles to loaning it out to buddies at the brew club, to making knockouts in a control panel.

Get the KO punch. Easiest and cleanest method by far, and you might be surprised how many times you use it.

Cheers!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #15
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 948 Times on 637 Posts
Likes Given: 780

I may be strange but I take a piece of scrap material, punch a hole in that and test fit before doing the final deed.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, i bought the set from harbor freight. here's my problem. the set says 'mechanical knockout set, 1/2" to 1-1/4". those are the pipe sizes they make clearance holes for. the 1" is the exact same size as the one i borrowed (measures on my caliper as 1.375" dia). so i'm back where i began. is a 1.375" ok to use or is it too big? which size did you use comeonnow?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #17
lschiavo

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
well, i bought the set from harbor freight. here's my problem. the set says 'mechanical knockout set, 1/2" to 1-1/4". those are the pipe sizes they make clearance holes for. the 1" is the exact same size as the one i borrowed (measures on my caliper as 1.375" dia). so i'm back where i began. is a 1.375" ok to use or is it too big? which size did you use comeonnow?
I used a 1in trade size electrical punch for my elements. Do you not have a piece of something you can punch a hole in and test fit this thing? You're just making a hole dude. Make it too small and file if you have to. I don't understand the need for such precision?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #18
warthog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i had read kal's instructions. and i posted the original question. then someone said that the 1.375 was too big, so i started stressing over it. but never-the-less, i've got some rather expensive kettles that i can't patch, so i've really got to get it right. i'm pretty sure i do have some scrap around. and i certainly will test punch first. i think that's a great idea.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
lschiavo

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
i had read kal's instructions. and i posted the original question. then someone said that the 1.375 was too big, so i started stressing over it. but never-the-less, i've got some rather expensive kettles that i can't patch, so i've really got to get it right. i'm pretty sure i do have some scrap around. and i certainly will test punch first. i think that's a great idea.
Even if someone said it would work, I would test it on some scrap before punching out a pricey kettle. I think you will have much success

Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
ChuckO

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Even if someone said it would work, I would test it on some scrap before punching out a pricey kettle. I think you will have much success
I use the largest size of food can that I can find, usually from crushed tomatoes, for my sample hole. That way I can remind myself how to drill into a curved surface at the same time. Proves the necessity of a center punch.