Planning my first sour, need advice - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Planning my first sour, need advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Caleb1980
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Eugene, Or
Posts: 37
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



After several batches I thing I'm ready to start a long aging project. Sours have quickly become a favorite of mine and it's time to start one. I'm not a huge fan of Flanders reds or browns. I have really enjoyed the Logsdon saison Brett, and Anchoridge Love Buzz, as examples of what I'd like to shoot for. I'll be using an extract recipe as a base.
Any suggestions for yeasts? I would like to add the bugs to the secondays to keep my plastics clean untill I need to bottle. Still in the planning stages, but for a year or longer project I don't want to jump into anything too quickly. I also have access to both of those beers if adding dreggs would be an option.Thanks for any advice
Caleb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
JoeLindley
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


A nice yeast mix is wlp670, sacc + brett. It will make a good, funky farmhouse ale using a saison or biere de garde recipe. You won't need a year, but 5 months in a single fermenter would be good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Caleb1980
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Eugene, Or
Posts: 37
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


thanks! that's exactly what i'm going for (a funky farmhouse saison) i'll see if the local shop can order it for me if not i'll search the web. Getting excited for this project.

Edit: So, could i just brew a saison as usual and add the 670 after a week? I could leave it in primary or transfer it to a secondary. Also, if i buy a bottle of the Logsdon on the day i add the yeast could i just toss in the last of the bottle (at the same time as the 670)? Sorry about the beginner questions. This is all new to me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
AmandaK
 
AmandaK's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
KCMO
Posts: 1,500
Liked 142 Times on 106 Posts


Here's a good thread on WLP670.

Cliff notes: add it like every other yeast in the primary. Leave it in the primary. Yes, you can add bottle dregs.
__________________
BJCP Master Beer Judge

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
JoeLindley
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Brandon had a nice post on this yeast.

Embracethefunk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Nelson, Bc
Posts: 537
Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts


Adding that WLP 670 didn't make a "sour" for me, though the beer did taste like it had run off Luther's boots. I had a batch of cream ale that I felt had been contaminated, and I tasted it against the saisson that used the 670, and darned if they weren't quite similar. Guess I've got an extra 5 gallons of farmhouse ale!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Embracethefunk
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Nashville, TN
Posts: 28


Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
Adding that WLP 670 didn't make a "sour" for me, though the beer did taste like it had run off Luther's boots. I had a batch of cream ale that I felt had been contaminated, and I tasted it against the saisson that used the 670, and darned if they weren't quite similar. Guess I've got an extra 5 gallons of farmhouse ale!
WLP670 will never make a beer "sour". Brettanomyces doesn't sour. Bacterias like lacto and pedio just to name a couple are souring microbes. Brettanomyces isn't a bacteria, it's a wild Sacc strain.
__________________
www.embracethefunk.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Embracethefunk
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Nashville, TN
Posts: 28


Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb1980 View Post
After several batches I thing I'm ready to start a long aging project. Sours have quickly become a favorite of mine and it's time to start one. I'm not a huge fan of Flanders reds or browns. I have really enjoyed the Logsdon saison Brett, and Anchoridge Love Buzz, as examples of what I'd like to shoot for. I'll be using an extract recipe as a base.
Any suggestions for yeasts? I would like to add the bugs to the secondays to keep my plastics clean untill I need to bottle. Still in the planning stages, but for a year or longer project I don't want to jump into anything too quickly. I also have access to both of those beers if adding dreggs would be an option.Thanks for any advice
Caleb
Gabe gave the exact recipe for Love Buzz in my interview with him last year:
http://embracethefunk.com/2012/03/09...any-qa-recipe/
__________________
www.embracethefunk.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Nelson, Bc
Posts: 537
Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracethefunk View Post
WLP670 will never make a beer "sour". Brettanomyces doesn't sour. Bacterias like lacto and pedio just to name a couple are souring microbes. Brettanomyces isn't a bacteria, it's a wild Sacc strain.
Yeah, I was just responding to the WLP part.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #10
Caleb1980
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Eugene, Or
Posts: 37
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Thanks for all the replys! I did manage to find some 670 at the local shop, although it says best by 1.9.13. That's cutting it awful close, should i bring up a starter? Otherwise, i'll be brewing my usual saison recipe, and just add the dregs of a logsdon and the vile of 670 as usual and keep it in the 5 gallon carboy for a few (4-6) months and then finish to taste. Does this sound reasonable?
Thanks for the love buzz recipe, i think i may add some peppercorns, rosehips and citrus peel to get closer to that flavor.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
planning to try several sour beer methods austinb Lambic & Wild Brewing 5 08-10-2011 03:07 AM
Need advice on planning the pipeline MC-Hokie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 08-03-2011 04:15 PM
Planning a Sour Kvass(repost) bob3000 Recipes/Ingredients 7 06-24-2011 07:46 AM
Planning a Sour Kvass bob3000 Lambic & Wild Brewing 1 06-15-2011 09:53 PM
Planning out my first mead...advice please? dummkauf Mead Forum 14 03-04-2010 03:15 AM


Forum Jump