Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry-hopped too early

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Mr_S
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry-hopped too early

I added 1.5 oz of centennial right at the start of an IPA primary fermentation. In hindsight I see (and smell!) that I should have waited until after active fermentation was done. I love heavy hop aromas and fear I've lost most from the initial fermentation. I am considering opening back up to add another 1 oz in the "primary" (same vessel after active fermentation is done)...wanted to avoid moving to a secondary. Any thoughts?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_S
I added 1.5 oz of centennial right at the start of an IPA primary fermentation. In hindsight I see (and smell!) that I should have waited until after active fermentation was done. I love heavy hop aromas and fear I've lost most from the initial fermentation. I am considering opening back up to add another 1 oz in the "primary" (same vessel after active fermentation is done)...wanted to avoid moving to a secondary. Any thoughts?
Do not do anything more until the beer has reached FG, then take a reading AND taste. If you feel the need to dry hop more do so at that time.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010