Does anyone else see a problem here? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Does anyone else see a problem here?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
bchurch

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Mont Clare, Pa
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

You have way too much time on your hands to be worrying about such trivial things.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchurch View Post
You have way too much time on your hands to be worrying about such trivial things.
Well, you're entitled to YOUR opinion, just like we're entitled to ours....I actually don't spend any time thinking or "worrying" about it, I just choose not to divulge such things.... Bully for you if you do.

*shrug*

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

OK I get the "I never post on these threads" thing. But wouldn't that be the case in previous years as well? You'd always have some mix of people who never post/post sometimes/always post? And I don't doubt that the number isn't accurate, but I would expect it to be roughly consistent. The fact that it's WAY down would mean that either MANY people who consistently posted in 2011 posted not at all or very little in 2012, so many that those brewers who were new to the site in 2012 (like me) didn't make up for their lack of posts. I don't know, if it was less of a decline I probably wouldn't have mentioned anything, but a 20% decrease is not insignificant.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
bchurch

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Mont Clare, Pa
Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Well, you're entitled to YOUR opinion, just like we're entitled to ours....I actually don't spend any time thinking or "worrying" about it, I just choose not to divulge such things.... Bully for you if you do.

*shrug*
I know the decline in the amount of homebrew keeps you up at night ;p
I was only kidding saying he has way to much time on his hands to care about how much less beer has been brewed this past year but alas somethings are lost when reading text. Maybe some emoticons for the mobile version would help with that.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5010 Times on 3381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
OK I get the "I never post on these threads" thing. But wouldn't that be the case in previous years as well? You'd always have some mix of people who never post/post sometimes/always post? And I don't doubt that the number isn't accurate, but I would expect it to be roughly consistent. The fact that it's WAY down would mean that either MANY people who consistently posted in 2011 posted not at all or very little in 2012, so many that those brewers who were new to the site in 2012 (like me) didn't make up for their lack of posts. I don't know, if it was less of a decline I probably wouldn't have mentioned anything, but a 20% decrease is not insignificant.
Not necessarily. Many experienced brewers simply opt to not post in that thread, for whatever reason.

It's probably a novelty for newer brewers. I don't think I've ever posted there. I have no designs to brew anything close to 200 gallons, but I don't see the advantage in advertising my batch count. That isn't any useful information for anyone, IMO.

So even as the total number of homebrewers increases, the number of newer brewers may not change all that much each year, and therefor the total number of people wanting to post there probably doesn't change much each year.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

I have never posted how much I have brewed and honestly never will just because I do not care.

I think the thing to look at would be the number of first batch threads verses threads selling all their stuff and getting out. Seems like there are a ton more first batch threads verses the others so I would say the trend is going up and not down.

Although I will say I am not brewing as much lately. Well as much as I would like but it seems I do not drink as much in the winter as I do the summer.

And 200 gallons is a bunch of beer. Man I cannot even think I come anywhere near that

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
landshark
HMFIC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts

I don't post amounts for reasons of I don't want people knowing how much I brew. I don't keep track at home either. I started to estimate for someone at Thanksgiving and was over 130 gallons only counting Late July-November. I quit counting and said "A little".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I don't post amounts for reasons of I don't want people knowing how much I brew. I don't keep track at home either. I started to estimate for someone at Thanksgiving and was over 130 gallons only counting Late July-November. I quit counting and said "A little".
It's a good point, particularly for people who brew close to the legal homebrew limit. I don't worry too much about that, since I don't really get close. 20 to 25 5-gal batches a year is about the most I can imagine doing, since that works out to almost a batch every two weeks. But I get it that folks are a little...um, careful about that kind of thing.

My thought was that they've probably been more or less the same kind of careful for a long time, so the decline still, to my mind, begs the question of "What changed?" Not saying that the 2009-2011 numbers were accurate in the first place, just that something's apparently different, judging by the 2012 number.

However, the real answer could be that there's so much "noise" in the data that even a drop that big is pretty much meaningless. Maybe that's what everyone was getting at, and I agree that's possible. Just thought it was worth a post.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;