Wow, holiday beer buying was EXPENSIVE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I traveled 1,000 miles to my family's home for the holidays, and couldn't bring any homebrew with me. As a result, I ended up buying my beer from the local liquor stores while I was there.

The two things that stuck out to me were the slim selection of anything resembling "craft" beer, and the sheer cost of buying a 6-pack of craft beer per day for a week and a half. The cost really adds up when you can't simply walk downstairs and pour a glass of tasty beer off a keg!

Anyone else go through the "sticker shock" of keeping the fridge stocked with drinkable commercial craft beer while away from their own homebrewing facilities? It pained me to think of how many batches of homebrew I could have made with the $100+ I spent on beer last week.

I buy sierra Nevada pale ale when I am out good pale ale and not to expensive for a 12 pack.

i hate it when my pipeline runs dry.. it just gets too damn expensive to buy decent beer.

Commercial beer is so expensive! Comparatively that is, a few years ago I'd of not thought twice about spending $8-10 for a 6 pack. Now I cringe every time I spend that and think I could of easily made 3-4 times that amount for the same price!

Next time I'm at my favorite liquor store to buy beer, I'll take a couple of pictures. There has to be over 500 different beers in his refrigerators.

We may not have great weather, but Wisconsin does have plenty of craft beer!

This is half the reason I got into home brewing. Was tired of paying 10-12$ a sixer for quality craft beers. Not to mention how expensive Belgian beers are.

Back