Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing with clover honey?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 188

I have once. I'm not sure it added anything measurable to the flavor as it wasn't much.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
4JBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thinking about trying a honey wheat and adding 1lb (by weight) 10 minutes prior to end of boil. I'd like to add another .5 lbs when the fermentation is nearing completion. My question is how would I calculate ABV since I would be taking a measurement before I pitch yeast and again when I'm done. If adding ingredients DURING fermentation, how do I calculate as my FG reading would be affected by the new ingredients?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JBrew
Thinking about trying a honey wheat and adding 1lb (by weight) 10 minutes prior to end of boil. I'd like to add another .5 lbs when the fermentation is nearing completion. My question is how would I calculate ABV since I would be taking a measurement before I pitch yeast and again when I'm done. If adding ingredients DURING fermentation, how do I calculate as my FG reading would be affected by the new ingredients?
Per Palmer, honey has about 38ppg. So half a pound in 5 gallons would contribute about 3.8 points. So increase your OG by .0038. So if your hydrometer read 1.050, use 1.0538 as your starting gravity for %Alc calculations.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
4JBrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Masterfool101,

Thanks!!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I've been trying to get the honey flavor in my wheat beer much like the Blue Moon version. I've asked a lot of questions and tried everything I've been told to do, yet am still not getting that strong honey flavor.

I was told to steep honey malt, but less than a pound. I was told to make a mini mash with some 2 row. I was told to put the honey at flameout. I've been told to add it to the fermentor after fermentation has died down. None of this has had the effect I was looking for. And with all of them I have used 1/2 lb of honey malt along with honey (~2 lbs). I've even used honey for priming.

This last time I added 3 3/4 lbs of honey a week after fermentation and it sorta has a honey flavor, but it really thinned the beer out too much.

I was recently advised to use 2 lbs of honey malt. That's what I'll try next go around.
What kind of honey are you using?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
rodwha
Recipes 

Cheap honey. I assume it's wild flower.
Some of from the local grocer under their brand, and some have come in 5 lb bottles with a handle from WalMart (I think).
I've saved those bottles in case I buy LME locally, who would sell it in clear plastic bags.
"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Very useful info from the National Honey Board:

http://www.honey.com/images/uploads/.../home_brew.pdf

Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used clover honey for my White House Honey Ale AG clone, added 1.5 lb at 5 minutes out, and it's terrific. The honey flavor and especially aroma is present but not overpowering. It also doesn't add much to the final sweetness (mine finished at 1.015, about what the beer would have finished at all by itself), and I think it reduces the beer's body slightly, giving it a clean, easy drinking finish. I'd highly recommend it. Haven't tried other honeys so it's hard to compare.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1716 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Cheap honey. I assume it's wild flower.
Some of from the local grocer under their brand, and some have come in 5 lb bottles with a handle from WalMart (I think).
I've saved those bottles in case I buy LME locally, who would sell it in clear plastic bags.
Yeah, grocery store honey is usually very mild and generally blended, so it won't add a ton of character. That's why you're getting disappointing results. You should find a honey supplier or some place that specializes in quality honey. Most of the honey I use is organic wildflower honey I buy in bulk from a supplier - about 30 lbs for $85. It really makes a difference... there's a ton of floral character in it. In fact, the quality is such that I refuse to buy grocery store honey at all anymore.

I'm from Canada so I probably can't help much finding great sources for you, but perhaps others will be able to point you in the direction of a quality supplier. Try asking in the mead section, or on a different mead site.

As for how to use it, you'll retain the most character by adding it, unheated, after the initial fermentation. I know you said you've done that, but doing this with a high quality honey will make all the difference.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
rodwha
Recipes 

Thanks for that bit of info!
I had no idea that wild yeasts could be in the honey.
I wash my yeast, and could have something else in there. I don't notice anything off, but that doesn't mean there isn't something in there that can grow more numerous next time, or the following. I'll need to keep that in mind when I brew a wheat again.