Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > A funny thing happened to me while...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default A funny thing happened to me while...

A funny thing happened to me while racking to a secondary.

I was finding it hard to keep the auto siphon going. In an attempt to restart the siphon I tried to pump the auto siphon again and it was very difficult. I was using a long bottle fill adapter into the secondary carboy to help avoid oxidation. I took the whole auto siphon and fill adapter mechanism to the deep sink for inspection. Upon disassembly I found brown confetti paper in both the auto siphon uptake and the bottle fill adapter outlet. After thinking hard about why anyone would make brown confetti, I tried to remember if I did anything funky that would have prompted me to force paper through a carboy opening. I would have had to do it on purpose. It would be difficult to accidentally drop this much paper into a carboy and not know it.

I held the paper up to the light and noticed a hint of grain that was familiar - it was apple peals. I used mashed apples with their skins to try and capture the entire apple flavor. They were all squared off on the edges and looked like confetti because I used a knife to break them down before mashing. I had forgotten I did that because it took so long to ferment in my cold basement, and I had three other batches going (I also may or may not have been testing a bunch of experimental mead while making the cider base).

So from now on, If I want to capture apple skin flavor, I am pealing them into a grain bag and suspending the bag in the carboy. It sucked to get the rest out of the primary, so take heed if you use any mashed apples.