Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ceramic bottles

Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
JohnWilliamson062
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ceramic bottles

A number of beers come in the Ceramic bottles such as Rogue. I am wondering if anyone has found a source for these bottles? They are usually only found for premium beers that are $10+ a piece. I have purchased a number and used as gifts, but I am now running out. I located a company in china that sells bottle that look like these on their website, but communication was not fruitful.

I am considering importing them from this company or contacting some old friends in Taiwan to see if they want to put something together, but not worth it if I am the only one interested or if there is another source I am just missing.

valentineiv Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Leadgolem
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I'd love to find a source of these too. They would be perfect for the rice wine I started last weekend.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Depending on cost, I'd be interested in some.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
JohnWilliamson062
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What sort of cost would you consider? Obviously everyone is interested at $1.

What about $5+ shipping from continental US? Probably minimum order of 12.
Would it matter what size?

Since I use them as gifts primarily the $5+brewing cost is still pretty cheap for me.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
Leadgolem
Recipes 

For me, it would depend on the size of the bottles. For something the size of a wine, or large beer, bottle I'd be willing to pay about $4 a bottle + shipping in the continental US. Minimum of an order of 12 would be fine too. If we are talking about 12oz bottles, then I'd be willing to go about $2.5/bottle, same minimum order and shipping would be fine.

Yeah, I know I'm a cheapskate....

Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

For $5 per bottle, plus shipping, they better be some damned sexy bottles and be able to withstand at least the same CO2 volumes as the swing-top bottles. I'd go up to $50 per case of 12, delivered, (they'll need to be 500ml or better in size) for them. Otherwise, I'll just keep using the 500ml [glass] swing top bottles and not worry about it.

As much as they would be nice to have, paying more is just not in the cards. Also, the $50 per case of 12 would have to be really great looking bottles. Ones that can handle repeated use without failing/breaking, just as the swing-top bottles do.

I'd also be interested in some that you could/would cork. Perhaps more along the lines of Belgian style, so you can cork and cage them. I'd be looking to use them for meads, so I don't care (so much) if they can handle carbonation levels. I also think they would be really nice for some really BIG beers. Such as something over 10% ABV that won't have a lot of carbonation anyway. Although there has to be a place bringing them into the US since some breweries are selling beers in them.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
Leadgolem
Recipes 

I can't believe we are the only 3 who want these. I mean, they would be perfect for long term aging. Absolutely no chance of damage from light.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, for most people, light isn't an issue. They either store the bottles in the boxes, or someplace dark. Since I've been kegging, light hasn't been an issue. I also have bottles in the basement, where very little light is coming even close to the bottles. I would like to use these for things that will be getting aged for an extended period, but only if the cost is good. Especially since I can get glass bottles at a good rate.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
JohnWilliamson062
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollig/2166745008/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollig/...n/photostream/
That is the bottle I found the maker for, or at least one very similar. Without paint of course. I believe the bottles are 24 ounces(not the normal St. Sebastian bottles).

Someone is doing me a favor next week. The favor is going to save me somewhere around $30. If I give them a 24 oz glass bottle glass bottle of mead it looks like a POS I found in the corner of my garage that probably should have been thrown away. I put it in a bottle like this, and it looks like something they should keep displayed in their office/man cave. Lightly carbonated mead seems to be very popular with both sexes.

If I go the "Taiwan connection" route, it would likely be produced by students at the school I attended at as an exchange student. White porcelain. Probably limited on quantity that way. Limited a little on size as I would want it to stay as a single piece.

They do store well, but draping a blanket over the box is much cheaper for long term storage.

With this little interest I don't think it is worth bothering. Probably just work on a few on my own.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson062 View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kollig/2166745008/
That is the bottle I found the maker for, or at least one very similar. Without paint of course. I believe the bottles are 24 ounces.

Someone is doing me a favor next week. The favor is going to save me somewhere around $30. If I give them a 24 oz glass bottle glass bottle of mead it looks like a POS I found in the corner of my garage that probably should have been thrown away. I put it in a bottle like this, and it looks like something they should keep displayed in their office/man cave.
Find out how much to get the bottles like that... Once I'm working again I'll have more funds to get things like that with. Right now I really don't need any more bottles like that. I would like some that had corking options though. Even if they're Belgian style bottles, in ceramic. I got a new corker on Thursday, so I can easily insert the corks (champagne corker, so no issues now).

As for the favor thing... I had a friend come over (a plumber) to help me with my new washing wand (for sanke kegs mostly) the other weekend. Took him all of a minute to get the one fitting on I couldn't get to seal (he also used a slightly different fitting, that was far easier). Saved me headaches more than anything else. Of course, I treated him to a pint for his troubles.

Fermenting
K1: