Words and phrases I hate - Page 61 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Words and phrases I hate

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #601
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 2,028
Liked 668 Times on 408 Posts


I am from Michigan, my wife is from North Carolina, we live in Alabama. My 10 year old came home from school one day and had a list of homonyms. One example was win and when both being pronounced win. I showed it to my wife and she couldn't see a problem...

It isn't anything I hate, but I did find it funny
__________________
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #602
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
OCBrewin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Orange County, California
Posts: 253
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
I am from Michigan, my wife is from North Carolina, we live in Alabama. My 10 year old came home from school one day and had a list of homonyms. One example was win and when both being pronounced win. I showed it to my wife and she couldn't see a problem...

It isn't anything I hate, but I did find it funny
Is this serious? I understand accents, but actually teaching words to the contrary of Webster's Dictionary seems wrong. How do they say 'fin' or 'hen'? Not trying to be rude or anything, just boggles my mind a bit....

mpride1911 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #603
JuanMoore
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 21,903
Liked 3682 Times on 3504 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
Is this serious? I understand accents, but actually teaching words to the contrary of Webster's Dictionary seems wrong. How do they say 'fin' or 'hen'? Not trying to be rude or anything, just boggles my mind a bit....
You've obviously never been to the deep south.
__________________
I'm trying to find some porn filmed by a dog wearing a GoPro. - SharonaZamboni

Hunter, when you get bored, will you put a taco in my elephant's hands for me? - Hat

drainbamage Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #604
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 2,028
Liked 668 Times on 408 Posts


When I lived in New Jersey I heard a mother bitching because they sent homonyms home and they had a picture of a frog and dog . She said that frog and Dooo-awg don't sound anything alike.

Much worse, IMO because that is the most obnoxious, fingernails on chalkboard accent known to man.

BTW, I'll bet most of the people in Orange County California pronounce the short "a" word Dad as Daaaad
__________________
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #605
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
HoppyDaze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Wilsonville, OR
Posts: 11,946
Liked 2322 Times on 1619 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpride1911

+30 for this. I have a dysfunctional alcoholic soldier, whose one of the worst I've ever encountered that failed out of his first year and that University of South Alabama (USA), that is the exact person you speak of for Auburn Football.
I feel you guys. The Johnny come lately obnoxious fan is the worst. That being said I graduated from Montana State and am also a big Duck fan. I grew up in Oregon and spent my youth going to games and watching them on the tube. There's no way some fvckin frat boy that made it through (alumn) for fours has a better fan claim as me. Oh and if you you want to know how MSU is doing, I can tell you... Perineal top 5 playoff team winning the big sky a lot lately. Google Travis Lulay, hell of a player, better drinker...
__________________
"Dad, Bob broke your beer!"

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #606
Marauder
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Pemberton, NJ
Posts: 163
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT
When I lived in New Jersey I heard a mother bitching because they sent homonyms home and they had a picture of a frog and dog . She said that frog and Dooo-awg don't sound anything alike.

Much worse, IMO because that is the most obnoxious, fingernails on chalkboard accent known to man.
I'm from NJ, and I also hate that accent. It gets worse the farther north you get and closer to New York, but it's down near me as well, to some degree. I never used to hate it but I was stationed in few other states for a long time, and when I moved back home last year I was disgusted by that accent and the terrible driving. (Both of which I never noticed before I left,)

And yes a lot of people say that stupid yous
Yous guys ready? You is the plural of you and needs no S, and I know teachers don't teach this one, but it develops anyway.

Again homebrewtalk is a wealth of information as I have always wondered about them teaching accents in school. I once asked a friend from Rhode Island if they just leave the R out completely when teaching the ABCs to children there. He had no answer...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #607
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
OCBrewin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Orange County, California
Posts: 253
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
BTW, I'll bet most of the people in Orange County California pronounce the short "a" word Dad as Daaaad
Haha, yeah, you're basically correct. But its usually preceded by 'like, ummm, like' or 'totally'..... Damn... I knew I shouldn't have put OC in my username.... Not even from here - born and raised in San Diego and here for work now.

I guess the accent down there is just the typical stoned surfer with a lot of 'dude' interjections.

Back on topic, I hate double negatives. Also, especially annoying is the use of the word 'seen' in the present tense, like "we seen that car....."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #608
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts


Zombie apocalypse?????

Methinks the OP is epically over-sensetive.

Irregardless is the mother of all douche words for me.

Keet Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #609
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Billy-Klubb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Posts: 11,608
Liked 5898 Times on 3469 Posts


I don't know why y'all doubt the Zombie Apocalypse. it's happening and I'll be ready. y'all will think Will Smith was unprepared in I Am Legend.
__________________
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Williams View Post
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.

Keet Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #610
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Posts: 13,362
Liked 3424 Times on 2445 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
I'm from NJ, and I also hate that accent. It gets worse the farther north you get and closer to New York, but it's down near me as well, to some degree. I never used to hate it but I was stationed in few other states for a long time, and when I moved back home last year I was disgusted by that accent and the terrible driving. (Both of which I never noticed before I left,)

And yes a lot of people say that stupid yous
Yous guys ready? You is the plural of you and needs no S, and I know teachers don't teach this one, but it develops anyway.

Again homebrewtalk is a wealth of information as I have always wondered about them teaching accents in school. I once asked a friend from Rhode Island if they just leave the R out completely when teaching the ABCs to children there. He had no answer...
When I first moved to Jersey from the PNW a little more than 10 years ago, I got no end of crap for actually pronouncing "water" correctly (instead of "wooodah" or however they expect you to say it). Then I moved down this way. DC area's so full of transplants that there's no real accent for anything, you go further out into VA, and I much prefer the NY/NJ accent to that obnoxious southern one.
__________________
Souring: '14 Brett C Old Ale, '15 Lambic, '14 Lambic, '14 Flemish Red, '15 Flemish Pale, '15 Oud Bruin, '15 Session Kriek
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Words and phrases that are fun to say CreamyGoodness Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 145 02-10-2014 12:27 PM
define some words for me spam Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 04-06-2012 05:06 AM
Use these words in a sentence... JebCkr Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 19 07-20-2009 08:57 PM
words of whit? Dragonfly Recipes/Ingredients 2 06-10-2005 11:18 PM


Forum Jump