Words and phrases I hate - Page 51 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Words and phrases I hate

Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #501
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Marysville
Liked 734 Times on 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I personally quite enjoy racial and sexist jokes, even though I am neither racist or sexist. I feel like it's a healthy part of celebrating the differences between cultures and genders, and if you really get the panties twisted over it then you need to just chill.
I enjoy those sorts of jokes too. Really like racial humor, especially stand-up. But unless you are making a joke every time you use it, its not the same thing.

Panties twisted? Hardly. This thread literally asks us to spell out our lingual peeves. I'm not barging into peoples personal threads as the PC Police.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #502
Roadliner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
Liked 273 Times on 184 Posts

"Heard that" really? probably cause I just told it to you!

Epic and Ever are being WAY over used (it was the best EVER, or it was Epic) no. it wasn't!

Now Legen- wait for it............DARY!!! isn't used enough

Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #503
beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Anyone hear have the name Will? I swear Im about to start going by William, almost every time I go to a party or have to introduce myself I always have to repeat my name which gives off weird vibes. I can see why, it's one short burst of wuilll. Or woooul. Or wiool. I think that's what people hear the first time around, anyway.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #504
Roadliner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Fox Valley, Wisconsin
Liked 273 Times on 184 Posts

lol coming from another William.. I know what ya mean. I still have to correct everyone that reads my name though since I actually go by my middle name of Patrick.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #505
beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

haha great times. Ive tried distinctively saying "will" in a very broad easy to read voice but that is almost worse than repeating myself. Luckily, your middle name is Patrick. Mine is Milton. Therefore I will be William all the days of my life.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #506
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Liked 1976 Times on 1241 Posts

I think someone already said this one, but using "literally" when they mean "figuratively."

My wife would love this thread. Poor grammar drives her nuts. When we got married, I (unbeknownst to me) had picked up a few coloquialisms that she couldn't stand, and after repeatedly correcting me when she caught me saying them, have excised them from my vocabulary. Among the worst offenders:

"Nother." As in, "I'm a pretty good skater, but rollerblading is a whole 'nother thing."

"One of them." I think this might be an east-coast thing. "What 'cha got there, Tom? Is that one of them new Camaros?"

"This/these things." If I'm telling my wife a story and say something like, "I was at the bus stop, and I met this homebrewer..." she'll cut me off and ask, "Which homebrewer? This one?" (Pointing out into space, feigning pointing at a person) "Or this one? Maybe this one? Or did you mean you met a homebrewer?"

"Some good." As in, "I had a slice of that birthday cake, and man, it was some good." My wife will ask, "Just some good? Not all good?"

"Right nice." I never really said this one much, but my grandmother says it all the time. "I was at church last week and they've finished rebuilding the pews. Now they look right nice."

I'm sure there's more, but those ones stick out in my mind.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #507
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat
"One of them." I think this might be an east-coast thing. "What 'cha got there, Tom? Is that one of them new Camaros?"
Nope, they do that here too.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #508
MyNameIsPaul

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Tomball, TX
Liked 161 Times on 132 Posts

It's not poor grammar or anything, but I hate the word "nevertheless"

It really grinds my gears!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #509
bottlebomber

Recipes 

Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts

I'll take that over irregardless any day.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #510
dbrewski

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Indeterminate
Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts

Banker speak: I just heard an analyst use the word "optionality" to mean choice...as in "doing X maintains an optionality for you". Same category as using "optics" instead of "visibility"..."We don't have the optics on the fourth quarter yet". All unecessary complexification of words to increase the optics of one's intelligentality.