Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Got Lazy Today and Pitched Octoberfest Too Hot

Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4446 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 3782

I couldn't get 34/70 to ferment at 40, but it took off at 45. So, it seems to mule somewhere in between.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I couldn't get 34/70 to ferment at 40, but it took off at 45. So, it seems to mule somewhere in between.
I will have to take a look when I get home today and maybe raise the temps a bit if it's not going. Perhaps another shot of oxygen too.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't know, but the blow-off tube is really bubbling away at 49F now. I need to drop it a few degrees at least the next time I brew it.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4446 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 3782

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I will have to take a look when I get home today and maybe raise the temps a bit if it's not going. Perhaps another shot of oxygen too.
Let it go for at least 2 or 3 days before you do anything (well, it can't hurt to hit it again with O2 if it's not fermenting yet).

I get really nervous when ales don't take off in 24 hours, but lagers can take days to start building up at cold temps. I think mine take off between 2 and 3 days. Then I get a nice krausen, 1", very tidy fermentations with 34/70.

I did a series of german pilsners in the summer, and the last one I did with that yeast came out with a lot of cloves. I don't know where the heck that came from. It was re-used 34/70 cake. The beer wasn't foul in any way; it just had a bit of hefeweisen to it. And, I HATE hefeweisens. I had to dump the kegs. Since I use this yeast all the time and never had anything close to that, I suspect I had some sort of contamination in there. It's also possible I overpitched, though I don't know if that can cause such a flavor.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Let it go for at least 2 or 3 days before you do anything (well, it can't hurt to hit it again with O2 if it's not fermenting yet).

I get really nervous when ales don't take off in 24 hours, but lagers can take days to start building up at cold temps. I think mine take off between 2 and 3 days. Then I get a nice krausen, 1", very tidy fermentations with 34/70.

I did a series of german pilsners in the summer, and the last one I did with that yeast came out with a lot of cloves. I don't know where the heck that came from. It was re-used 34/70 cake. The beer wasn't foul in any way; it just had a bit of hefeweisen to it. And, I HATE hefeweisens. I had to dump the kegs. Since I use this yeast all the time and never had anything close to that, I suspect I had some sort of contamination in there. It's also possible I overpitched, though I don't know if that can cause such a flavor.
Yeah, sounds like a tiny bug might have been in your one pils; glad that it didn't spread any further.

Had good krausen developing by the time I checked on my Vienna and bock today. I've had nothing but great luck with 34/70; hoping these beers turn out well!

Our ground water is sooo cold right now I can chill stuff to 40 or 41 with my immersion chiller. We had an unusually hot summer here and I couldn't get under about 70 in August.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
Newgene
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright, this batch is getting outright comical. I think the 67F pitch caused it to finish very early. The BO tube activity stopped while I was at work this week, and I checked it this morning to see where it's at. It looks like I'm right about at FG after just 11 days. Lovely. Now, I did step the starter up twice and then add a cup of wort within a few hours of the pitch, to get it really churning. I tasted the sample, and it's actually pretty good. I don't taste any diacetyl, but it's flat and pretty early. I may still get some pop through after I lager. I moved the controller up to 60F, and I'll let it run at least through tomorrow and taste it and check the gravity again. Hopefully, it drops a few points, but it's close. I had no idea the gravity would have dropped that low that fast.

The beer was actually somewhat void of flavor. However, I've tasted that before. I usually gets better once it's done. I've also learned something about this yeast after this and talking to you guys. I can definitely ferment much colder without worrying about it stalling. 11 days was pretty impressive.