Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > UK Peat Moss grain

Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
PilotBMP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default UK Peat Moss grain

So I was listening to a podcast recently and ever so briefly they mentioned some Peat Moss grain used for flavoring matching that of Islay Scotch. I love that smokey peat flavor so I was intrigued with what recipe would allow for something like this flavor to be the stand out and not an accompanyment like a smoked stout or something. I was looking along the lines of a nice basic Pale Ale? Thoughts or has anyone ever worked with this grain before?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
nberna19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have used peat smoked malt once before in a smoked porter with it being 2.5% of the grain bill. There was definitely a subtle smokiness that was evident and complimentary to the porter. I've read numerous times that a little goes a long way when using peat smoked malt, as its character is very strong and dominant when used in beer (say no more than 5% of the grain bill). I wouldn't think that a hoppy and smokey beer would be a good pairing, however I can't say I've tried any before so there's only one way to find out