Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Water Temp Question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
tamns7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 3

Default Water Temp Question

Homebrew Masters!

My gf bought me the Northern Brewers home starter kit about a week ago. I am hooked already and seems like I did a good job. I made the pale ale NB kit but have a question...

NB did not specify what the water temp should be when pouring and mixing the wort with regular water to get to the 5g mark? Does it matter? My tap water was pretty chilly (probably around 50F) and I cooled the wort too around 100F before mixing it with the tap water.

I have since purchased a thermometer and something to attach to my fermenter so that to know the temp when this mix occurs again.

Finally, it is fermenting in a nice quiet, dark, room temperature closet in my apt. It is bubbling and seems to be on its way! Just wanted to know thoughts and experiences with this step by some more experienced people!

Thanks! 🍻
tamns7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,433
Liked 5577 Times on 4009 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamns7 View Post
Homebrew Masters!

My gf bought me the Northern Brewers home starter kit about a week ago. I am hooked already and seems like I did a good job. I made the pale ale NB kit but have a question...

NB did not specify what the water temp should be when pouring and mixing the wort with regular water to get to the 5g mark? Does it matter? My tap water was pretty chilly (probably around 50F) and I cooled the wort too around 100F before mixing it with the tap water.

I have since purchased a thermometer and something to attach to my fermenter so that to know the temp when this mix occurs again.

Finally, it is fermenting in a nice quiet, dark, room temperature closet in my apt. It is bubbling and seems to be on its way! Just wanted to know thoughts and experiences with this step by some more experienced people!

Thanks! 🍻
Water temperature doesn't matter- what matters is getting the wort to under 70 degrees when adding the yeast, so if you use cold water that can really help you get to the mid 60s before pitching the yeast. So I'd highly recommend doing that!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,615
Liked 553 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

Yooper is right.

When I did partial boils that required top off water I would put a couple of gallons in the freezer when I started. That way I could cool to 80 and pour the cool water in to get it down to .mid 60's real fast. Worked great.
beergolf is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
tamns7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 3

Default

Thanks dudes!
tamns7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 4,615
Liked 553 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamns7 View Post
Thanks dudes!
Hate to break the news to you.....


But yooper is not a dude...
beergolf is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
tamns7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 3

Default

Nice! Thanks!
tamns7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 2,882
Liked 173 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Water temperature doesn't matter- what matters is getting the wort to under 70 degrees when adding the yeast, so if you use cold water that can really help you get to the mid 60s before pitching the yeast. So I'd highly recommend doing that!
Here in Hawai`i my tap water is about 78* I've never gotten my wort down below 70* before pitching my dry yeast which by the way I never re-hydrate.

I can add blocks of ice and using a water bath to cool the wort ( 1.75 g) I can get it down to the low 70s. Haven't had a bad batch in two years other than an infection here and there.

Not saying your advice is wrong. Just tossing in my 2 cents.
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: German Dry Stout
Bottled in the refer: Wai`anae SummerAle Ale
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
C-Rider is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Unibrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 446
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I use coldest water possible when topping off to help cool wort quickly...no real reason beside that
__________________
I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/
Unibrow is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
dcocch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 54
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I have a questions about Tamn's questions...

I was under the impression you needed to boil the water that you're adding to a partial boil so it is sanitized. Is that correct? Or can you take water straight from the tap and mix it into the wort? Thanks.
__________________
Primary 1: Vanilla Stout (+1gal of coffee vanilla stout)
Primary 2: empty
Bottled: Al's Elixir IPA
Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale
dcocch is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,433
Liked 5577 Times on 4009 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Here in Hawai`i my tap water is about 78* I've never gotten my wort down below 70* before pitching my dry yeast which by the way I never re-hydrate.

I can add blocks of ice and using a water bath to cool the wort ( 1.75 g) I can get it down to the low 70s. Haven't had a bad batch in two years other than an infection here and there.

Not saying your advice is wrong. Just tossing in my 2 cents.
Well, it's just a thought- but maybe the beer would be even better if you did ferment at 65 degrees. It might be "not bad" if pitched too warm- but it might be "excellent" if fermented and pitched at a better temperature. I realize that we have to work with what we have, though. I happen to live in a cold climate with 42 degree tap water!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This might be the stupidest question in a while - water temp Q Rev2010 General Beer Discussion 18 09-19-2011 05:48 PM
Mash tun strike water temp question? StarCityBrewMaster Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 03-10-2010 10:41 PM
Water Temp for AG question Makeyermark Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 06-07-2009 10:03 PM
Sparge Water temp question.... Brocster All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 05-31-2009 04:38 PM
A Quick Sparge Water Temp Question. mew General Techniques 14 12-01-2008 08:10 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS