Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Newbie with a thirst for pale ale on limited resources

Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
ThaBrewFather06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Not many people use the Nelson Sauvin, I have but if you are going for a pale ale I'm not sure that its what your looking for. The IBU will be pretty low for an IPA. I don't really like high IBU beers so this may be a good hop for you. Just something to consider.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
Foodhead
Recipes 

Thanks for your input!

We've done a single hopped american IPA with Nelson Sauvin before (albeit with barley) that turned out great, so I know I like the hop. I might up it a bit if I decide to aim for an IPA this time as well, upping the syrup a bit too. Actually, I've not decided on the hops yet, but I think I'll work that bit out as it comes along, from previous experiences. My main concern at this point is the extract bit, where I'm a complete newbie.

Oh, and I've not managed to find any buckwheat honey here... We've got some dark belgian candi syrup, though. Not that I'm looking to get this one all sugar laden, but I guess a slight touch of it might give it another dimension?

Best,

/kalle.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

3.5 oz of oats won't get you much flavor. You could triple that quantity and not be too much. Otherwise, it looks good! You could maybe up the sorghum or rice syrup, or add some candi syrup (it really adds something to pale ales, in my experience, but it might not play so well with the Sauvin hops; a coarser and more aggressive hop, like Centennial or Simcoe, seems to better balance the caramel flavor).

Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
Foodhead
Recipes 

Thanks!

I'll see how much toasted oats I managed to scrape off the aluminium foil... They really stuck to it after having been soaked, but both smell and taste promising!

I'll also add some dark candi syrup and consider reconsidering the hops. I should probably go for some more resin/pine to compensate all the fruitiness in the Nelson Sauvin. Simcoe might be the way to go, although I haven't had much experience with that one.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Cainepolo12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I think I would add another lb of sorghum and do make it 2 lbs and flameout. I have have good luck doing that. I'm not really familiar with sauvin so I can't comment. Also, if you have maltodextrin, I wouldn't brew without it. Steeped oats plus malto make for pretty good body in my experience. 2-3 oz per gallon.