Geletin / Geletine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I seem to recall specific instructions on using geletin in the secondary.... how to prepare, how long to leave it, etc.

In searching the forums and wiki, I'm not finding it.

I suspect it might be in the archives, but I can't figure out how to search the archives. All I see is an listing of subjects

Can anyone please point me to that information?

TIA

It's there if you spell the word right.

"Gelatin
Type: Fining Use: Secondary Time: 5.0 hours Use for: Clarity Notes: Clear, unflavored gelatin can be purchased from your grocer. Aids in settling yeast. Prepare in 1 pint of water by heating gently until dissolved. Add before bottling. Do not boil. "

Gelatin/Gelatine: Gelatin is the American spelling, gelatine is how it is spelled on the package of Knox brand at the market. Sprinkle an envelope of unflavored gelatine onto 6-8 oz of cold water and allow to soak for 10 minutes. Heat the "bloomed" gelatine to pasteurization temp, ~175F, and stir to completely dissolve. Add the solution to your COLD beer and let sit for a few days then rack and package. The beer should be cold to help induce any chill haze, one of the primary reasons to use this fining agent.

talleymonster said:
In the end I didn't use it because I was paranoid about all of my yeast dropping out and not having enough left to carbonate the beer.

I think I'm a few days away from disproving that theory. :D

I use gelatin in the secondary at room temp and within 48 hours the beer has fallen completely clear. Then I chill it in the keg for 7-10 days to get past the chill haze stage.

BierMuncher said:
I think I'm a few days away from disproving that theory. :D

I use gelatin in the secondary at room temp and within 48 hours the beer has fallen completely clear. Then I chill it in the keg for 7-10 days to get past the chill haze stage.

be sure and let me know how that works out!

Back