Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ever brew a beer you 'hated'..........

Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5943 Times on 4238 Posts
Likes Given: 1517

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yes. I've forced them down, but not any more. I came to the (duh) conclusion once that I would never drink another one that wasn't good. And take my word on it, I don't.

I won't get into details, because some people here get peeved when you talk about dumping beer, but I dispatch non-ideal beers quickly.
My motto is "Life is too short to drink bad beer"!

I've only had a couple of dumpers, thank goodness! One was infected (band-aid beer). One was just a beer that wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that great and we weren't drinking it.

Back when I bottled, I gave 1.5 cases of Cooper's from a kit away to a friend who liked it. That was probably my worst beer ever, besides the infected batch. She eventually drank it all and returned the bottles. But now that I keg exclusively, if the beer isn't going to be consumed happily, I'd have no problem with dumping it.

Time does NOT heal all.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
PupThePup
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

After bottling, I'll sample them once a week after I think their ready. Some of the beers are good immediately, some improve and some don't.

If I need bottles for newer beers in the pipeline I simply keep six bottles of my worst prior beer and dump the rest.

This way I don't give up "hope" that the beer will improve.

The six packs get dumped if they don't improve after a reasonable aging period for the beer in question.

So, yes, I have brewed sub par beer, but I've never hated the beer, I give it a chance to improve. I also learn that I need to improve my process next time and if I don't have the equipment to do so then I need to acquire that equipment or it's futile trying to brew the same beer with the same conditions.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes about to years ago when I first started with Mr. Bear I made a west coast pale ale. It was not good. Well luckily it was only 2 gallons. So far since then I have not made one that bad.

Roger
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

Old 01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
craigger64
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My motto is "Life is too short to drink bad beer"!

I agree, Yooper! After all, isn't that why we brew our own in the first place? While it sucks to dump a beer that I put so much time and effort into, if I want to drink bad beer, there are plenty of bad commercial brews that I can just pick up at the store.

My worst ones were a raspberry wheat that tasted like Alka-Seltzer with a hint of raspberry flavoring in it, and a Kolsch that everyone else loved but I didn't like much at all.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 880 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I brewed the NB Nut Brown kit and it was very good.

I have also been lucky I guess and 34 batches done with none that I have not liked. I have brewed several brown ales with slightly different recipes. They were all very good, some better than others.

So far I have not brewed the same recipe more than once.

I am also working on a pale ale recipe trying to perfect it. 4 tries, all different, all great and getting closer to what I am looking for.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My 2nd Mr. Beer was called "Diablo IPA", and it had no business making the IPA claim. It had zero hop character, and I suppose it was fairly bitter. Expecting an IPA, this really was a disappointment. In fact, that was what finally decided me to start with 5 gal. extract kits.
I didn't hate that beer, but it was a disappointment with every gulp.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'll not be brewing this crap again. Watery, flavorless, pathetic.

On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I guess I have been lucky. I have had a few that weren't great at first try so I put them in the shed for 6 months and they turned into completely different beers. (Either that or SWMBO is sneaking out there while I'm asleep and actually swapping them for different beers.)

I reckon if one doesn't age out ok to drink I'll make marinades or steak in ale pie with it rather than just chuck it though.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
SteveHeff
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I gave away most of a smokey porter I brewed several months ago. I drank maybe 3 and decided it was the worst thing I ever made. 2 out of the 5 people who got bottles asked for more beer...I was more than happy to oblige and give them the rest.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
AerationStation
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

I brewed an American IPA a while back that ended up sitting in primary for about 3 1/2 months. There was a wicked kick on the back end from what I assume to be autolysis, I couldn't even drink it. That being said, my buddy thought it was great so he ended up with about 2 cases of the stuff haha

Janet's Brown Ale
English Mild
Oatmeal Stout