Aluminum pot question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Aluminum pot question

Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Liked 50 Times on 24 Posts

I received a turkey fryer for Christmas. It came with an aluminum pot I was thinking if using as a HLT. I want to put on a threadless ball valve and a heating element. I am only dong 5-7gallon batches. Anything else you can thing of. Best places to buy this stuff?

Here's the turkey fryer set I got. http://www.walmart.com/ip/30-Quart-P...r-Set/13059419

My questions are, What heating element? And how do I make it weld less. Is this okay do with aluminum?
Any weld less ball valve in particular? Do I use a step bit or will a metal drill bit work fine?
Ęgir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ęgir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
Liked 264 Times on 218 Posts

I used a step bit when I drilled the hole for my ball valve in the same pot. I haven't added an electric element but don't see why you couldn't. For my ball valve all I did was use a 1/2" male union 2 female 1/2"unions 2 stainless steel washers and 2 silicone o-rings.
So it looks like this
Female union:Washer-ring:Kettle wall-ring:washer:female union:1/2"nipple:ball valve

The 1/2"male union is in the hole of the pot female unions screwed on both sides sandwiching the washers and oring. Brewed with it over a year now. No leaks or problems. Definately beats trying to siphon wort off the grains.

Good luck happy brewing!!!!