Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Oak barrels
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roseto, Pa
Posts: 387
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Oak barrels

Has anyone brewed in a oak barrel before? Is it possible?


lazarus0530 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
mrrshotshot
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
mrrshotshot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 648
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

That's how brewing was done before stainless steel tanks were used. Firestone walker ferments in barrels.


mrrshotshot is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
jphebbie2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 91
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Are you asking about FERMENTING in a barrel or brewing (producing wort) in a barrel? People used to almost strictly ferment in barrels back in the day. This practice is still used widely in winemaking and a bit in brewing. Firestone walker being the most widely known as stated above.
__________________
On Tap: - dry stout on nitro
- barrel aged flanders red
- Rye pale ale
- dry cider
- pumkin ale
aging: - bourbon barrel RIS
jphebbie2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roseto, Pa
Posts: 387
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphebbie2
Are you asking about FERMENTING in a barrel or brewing (producing wort) in a barrel? People used to almost strictly ferment in barrels back in the day. This practice is still used widely in winemaking and a bit in brewing. Firestone walker being the most widely known as stated above.
Well how is it done? How do you Sanitize them?
lazarus0530 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roseto, Pa
Posts: 387
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot
That's how brewing was done before stainless steel tanks were used. Firestone walker ferments in barrels.
It seems like it would be awesome to do ... What kind of beer would work I wonder?
lazarus0530 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
mrrshotshot
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
 
mrrshotshot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 648
Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus0530 View Post

Well how is it done? How do you Sanitize them?
Fill the barrel with water and add an appropriate amount if sodium metabisulfite.

Any beer would work I imagine.
mrrshotshot is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roseto, Pa
Posts: 387
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot

Fill the barrel with water and add an appropriate amount if sodium metabisulfite.

Any beer would work I imagine.
Interesting ....
lazarus0530 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
jphebbie2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 91
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

It depends on the barrels previous usage. Generally new oak isn't used on beer because of the cost and because it's too intense. Barley wines and stouts lend well to whiskey barrels dark sours, clean reds and browns to red wine barrels saisons and light Belgians to white wine barrels ect.. Big beers normally age better in barrels as well. Generally these beers are clean fermented then racked to barrels and aged. Potassium metabisulfate is added if you don't want sour beer. The sky's the limit though, I've had a juniper beer aged in gin barrels that was pretty tasty for example
__________________
On Tap: - dry stout on nitro
- barrel aged flanders red
- Rye pale ale
- dry cider
- pumkin ale
aging: - bourbon barrel RIS
jphebbie2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
lazarus0530
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Roseto, Pa
Posts: 387
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphebbie2
It depends on the barrels previous usage. Generally new oak isn't used on beer because of the cost and because it's too intense. Barley wines and stouts lend well to whiskey barrels dark sours, clean reds and browns to red wine barrels saisons and light Belgians to white wine barrels ect.. Big beers normally age better in barrels as well. Generally these beers are clean fermented then racked to barrels and aged. Potassium metabisulfate is added if you don't want sour beer. The sky's the limit though, I've had a juniper beer aged in gin barrels that was pretty tasty for example
Awesome thank you
lazarus0530 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
BrewKid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 58
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I'm currently aging my RIS in a used whiskey barrel. I just washed it out a couple times with warm water to wash out any loose particles inside and to also check for any possible leaks.


__________________
Primary:

Secondary:

Whiskey Barrel: Russian Imperial Stout

Bottled:Amber Ale, Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Drank/Gone: Red Ale
BrewKid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oak Barrels Ltd. ? Bowow0708 Equipment/Sanitation 4 08-07-2012 05:23 AM
Using oak barrels AdScot17 General Beer Discussion 5 03-10-2012 07:20 AM
For Sale - 25 gal. Oak Barrels RJS For Sale 0 12-28-2011 05:51 PM
Where to buy barrels? Scruffy1207 General Beer Discussion 3 06-06-2011 06:27 PM
Oak Barrels MKelly Cider Forum 0 05-01-2009 10:43 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS