Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation stopped at 1.020 - can I bottle?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
mclaughlindw4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 443
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Fermentation stopped at 1.020 - can I bottle?

A little background for first brew attempt: I boiled wort and pitched yeast last saturday for a red ale kit beer - Starting gravity was 1.050. This past saturday (7 days later), I opened bucket for first time and hydrometer read 1.020. I just now took a second read (48 hours later) and specific gravity is still at 1.020.

Target gravity per instructions are 1.012 - 1.014. I've learned a lot, and was wondering if it was ok to bottle at 1.020? I am ok with it being a little sweet and will pitch yeast much differently next time (I think instructions sucked for this, eg, no mention of aeration or hydrating yeast and pitched at 85 degrees).

Another option is to let it sit a couple more days? But It hasn't moved into two days and I don't want to risk oxidation since I am brewing in bucket.


mclaughlindw4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
AaronM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 27
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I'd give it another day or so and take another reading.....


AaronM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 66,029
Liked 6236 Times on 4443 Posts
Likes Given: 1682

Default

Yes, if the FG hasn't moved it's fine to bottle.

I've had a good number of extract batches top at 1.020, depending on which brand of extract I've used. (Search for a thread called something like 'the 1.020 curse' for more info on others' experiences).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
mclaughlindw4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 443
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Thanks, I read many of those threads now. It seems like there are ways to try to get it down further but I think for this my first brew I will just finish it up and move on. I've decided to wait until this weekend though and bottle it at two weeks and hopefully I will not have any oxidation problems.
mclaughlindw4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bensiff's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: , Washington, the state
Posts: 4,806
Liked 368 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

Sounds like it has finished up and like Yooper said, extracts can finish high. However, no time like the present to learn one of the most valuable brewing lessons...patience. You will do no harm by letting it sit on the yeast for a week or two more, it will likely help clean the beer up to be a better end product and may drop down a point or two more. Also, a very easy technique that might help lower a few points more is giving your bucket a very gentler swirl to get the yeast in suspension...just make sure the lid stays on and the airlock is secure and you will be fine.
Bensiff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,685
Liked 135 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaughlindw4 View Post
Thanks, I read many of those threads now. It seems like there are ways to try to get it down further but I think for this my first brew I will just finish it up and move on. I've decided to wait until this weekend though and bottle it at two weeks and hopefully I will not have any oxidation problems.
With my first extract kit I tried most of the ways, short of pitching more yeast. 1.020 was all she wrote.

2nd extract kit from the same HBS finished right on target.


__________________
Drinking: Craptastic Cream Ale
Primary: Scottish Wee Heavy
whoaru99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation Stopped? Since83 Wine Making Forum 1 09-20-2012 03:31 AM
My fermentation stopped? akhomebrew General Beer Discussion 10 12-19-2011 11:14 AM
Fermentation of my current batch stopped 1 month ago, Can I still bottle it? beerdownunder Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 10-30-2011 04:11 AM
I have stopped adding priming sugar when I bottle sempf Bottling/Kegging 7 08-28-2010 01:49 AM
fermentation stopped after 1 day beerbelay General Beer Discussion 4 06-29-2009 01:38 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS