scotch suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-love

Reaction score
I am thinking I'd like to diversify my experiences with liquor. I drink mostly beer, and occasionally some crown. I want to try some scotch, but have no clue where to start. Anyone want to suggest a quality, affordable scotch to start out with?

I am thinking I'd like to diversify my experiences with liquor. I drink mostly beer, and occasionally some crown. I want to try some scotch, but have no clue where to start. Anyone want to suggest a quality, affordable scotch to start out with?

If you haven't had Scotch before, it's not a bad idea to start with the blended ones. Dewar's, Johnny Walker Red, etc. From there, if you decide you like Scotch it's worth exploring the different areas where Scotches are made. For example, Islay Scotch (i.e. Laphroaig) is very smoky from the peat used. Speyside produces a sweeter more grassy Scotch. I would say if you like the taste of the blends try something like The Glenlivet ("Any Glen" - Mikey from Swingers). That's a decent single malt that won't break the bank.

Personally my favorites are The MacAllan 12 year, Laphroaig, and Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. Very different styles, but all very tasty.

Before buying a bottle I suggest going out to try a few different ones. Low, medium, and higher-end type of thing. It's a WAY different flavor than Crown, or other whiskey/whiskys.

What defines affordable?

FWIW, The Macallan 12 is one I have for guests, although I don't particularly care for Scotch myself; more of an Irish whiskey man. In the latter I try to keep a bottle of Redbreast 12 and or Bushmills 16 on hand, which are quite different from each other.

I would definitely suggest Johnny Walker Black if you are buying a bottle for the house. When it comes to single malts you need to go to a bar that has lots of scotches and bartenders that know the differences. If you have an Irish pub nearby that would be a good place to start.

Before buying a bottle I suggest going out to try a few different ones. Low, medium, and higher-end type of thing. It's a WAY different flavor than Crown, or other whiskey/whiskys.

That defines affordable?

FWIW, The Macallan 12 is one I have for guests, although I don't particularly care for Scotch myself; more of an Irish whisky man. In the latter I try to keep a bottle of Redbreast 12 and or Bushmills 16 on hand, which are quite different from each other.

Agreed. Irish whiskey is tremendous as well. Especially Redbreast.

g-love said:

I love scotch! My daily drink is Clan MacGregor which is a cheap, blended scotch that comes in a green plastic 1.75L bottle. If you are looking to try something a bit higher in quality, go for something like The Glenlivet, The MacAllan, or Aberlour. They all make single malts that are not terribly smoky or peaty, but still have a great single malt flavour profile. If you want to try a real peaty, smoky scotch get a bottle if Laphroaig. That is like being hit in the mouth with a block of peat. I like it, but only in small amounts and only a few times a year. As far as price goes, if you are paying for Crown, the price of a decent single malt or blended will not be a shock.

Slainte!

I would definitely suggest Johnny Walker Black if you are buying a bottle for the house. When it comes to single malts you need to go to a bar that has lots of scotches and bartenders that know the differences. If you have an Irish pub nearby that would be a good place to start.

I like that suggestion. It's just that I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't have a bar like that available. I'll definitely try to hit one up next time I head to the city (I go once a month or so), which for me would be DC/Baltimore area.

Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or.

This.

Delicious and pretty reasonable. Very approachable for a new scotch drinker too. I got my father (who typically only drinks red wine) a bottle of this for his bar and he's hooked now.

What defines affordable?

FWIW, The Macallan 12 is one I have for guests, although I don't particularly care for Scotch myself; more of an Irish whisky man. In the latter I try to keep a bottle of Redbreast 12 and or Bushmills 16 on hand, which are quite different from each other.

Thanks man. I know that Crown and Scotch don't taste the same. I guess I was just trying to say that's all I really drink outside of beer at this point. I don't have any friends that drink Scotch and only a few that drink beer that isn't BMC. You guys are always a good source of ideas.

This.

Delicious and pretty reasonable. Very approachable for a new scotch drinker too. I got my father (who typically only drinks red wine) a bottle of this for his bar and he's hooked now.

Also, Glenmorangie put out a pretty reasonably priced sampler pack. It was awesome. Check this out.

One that I like a lot and that not too many people have heard of is Edradour. It's only a 10 year scotch, but it drinks like it was aged much longer.

My advise is go for single malts, and spread around a lot. The World of Scotch is like all other whisky's of the world lumped into one small nation the size of SC. There is huge variation in the taste from one area to another, and even from neighboring operations. There are 5 main scotch producing regions, generally all whisky from a region will share a characteristic. So my advise is study up a bit, and try a bottle or two from each region, then narrow your focus to the regions that you prefer.

By doing this and staying away from blends you learn the different flavors and what you like or don't like. Then you can move to or away from a particular brand, that you like.

whoaru99 said:
^^^
Just be careful when going into an Irish bar asking for Scotch whisky... ;)

I know it sounds odd and could be downright dangerous in some places, but it's what I have locally. Called Finnegan's Wake, they have traditional Irish food, Irish food they have put their own twist on, and other non-Irish items. The bar list is fairly extensive with taps dominated by craft beer with 2-3 of them dedicated stout faucets. Bottle after bottle of Irish and Scotch whisky and of course vodka, gin, etc to mix drinks with.

Step one, sit down and have a chat with your wallet while you are sober and make sure he is ok with this plan. The second your wallet slips up in confusion about what you are embarking on and grants approval, ignore anything else it might say henceforth. Do not have this conversation with your girlfriend or spouse as the answer is already no...unless you are lucky and have a good whiskey girl like I do (if she smokes a cigar or lets you smoke a cigar without complaint you may be in luck)

Step two, if wallet gives approval of your new interest, find a bar that is known for a good Scotch list, get a designated driver, and head out for an evening. Have them serve each offering neat with a side of ice so you can get an idea of their character as is and see how it opens up with a little added water.

Step three, figure out what you like, go home, log onto a good online retailer (if legal in your state unlike the evil Washington laws) and order a few bottles of what you liked while you are still under Scotch's influence.

Step four, sober up and realize you just blew a few hundred dollars on the devil's drink.

Step five, get your shipment, drink, realize sober fiscally responsible self is full of bullsh*t and apologize to the bottle for ever calling it the devil's drink and welcome to the club of poor Scotch drinkers.

Funny I just found this thread, as I'm sipping on my first scotch. Got $70 in gift cards to Total Wine, awesome new store in my area.

Initially was going to load up one some beer, but I had an itch for trying some scotch. The guy talked me through it and we settled on some Shieldaig Speyside Single Malt. Got some whiskey glasses to go with it as well.

It was between the Shieldaig, Hamiltons, or Grangestone 12Yr Single Malt. Shieldaig was the most reasonable, so I went with that. Did I do good? I enjoy it; quite a bit smoother than some of the cheap whiskey I've had before.

1_109035750_4_3.jpg

p.s. used the rest to get some whiskey glasses and Firestone Walker's new reserve XVI

pabloj13 - I like the idea of that sampler box you posted.

It also sounds like scotch has a much deeper history than I was aware. I'll have to read up on the back story.

I am shocked at the amount of responses and suggestions I got. I'm going to go this week after I go back to work and grab something to try. I'll post back up with my impressions.

Step one, sit down and have a chat with your wallet while you are sober and make sure he is ok with this plan. The second your wallet slips up in confusion about what you are embarking on and grants approval, ignore anything else it might say henceforth. Do not have this conversation with your girlfriend or spouse as the answer is already no...unless you are lucky and have a good whiskey girl like I do (if she smokes a cigar or lets you smoke a cigar without complaint you may be in luck)

Step two, if wallet gives approval of your new interest, find a bar that is known for a good Scotch list, get a designated driver, and head out for an evening. Have them serve each offering neat with a side of ice so you can get an idea of their character as is and see how it opens up with a little added water.

Step three, figure out what you like, go home, log onto a good online retailer (if legal in your state unlike the evil Washington laws) and order a few bottles of what you liked while you are still under Scotch's influence.

Step four, sober up and realize you just blew a few hundred dollars on the devil's drink.

Step five, get your shipment, drink, realize sober fiscally responsible self is full of bullsh*t and apologize to the bottle for ever calling it the devil's drink and welcome to the club of poor Scotch drinkers.

This cracks me up because it's not too far from my standard ridiculous behavior. My wife is crazy supportive of all my endeavors and couldn't care less what I do. She'd probably even want to try the haul.

:rockin:

I'll add another vote for The Glenlivet (any age). Also, Oban 14 is my go to, but it's just for me. I do keep a bottle of blended (usually JW Black) for a few of my buddies who like it. It's not bad stuff at all, I prefer a smokier scotch, though.

So, if I like smoked beer, would it stand to reason that I would also enjoy a smoky scotch? Or, would that be an incorrect association?

So, if I like smoked beer, would it stand to reason that I would also enjoy a smoky scotch? Or, would that be an incorrect association?

Hard to tell, really. I am actually not very fond of smoked beers. Worst case scenario, a bottle of Oban is a ~$60 investment. Better yet, do as was mentioned above and find a reputable bar that has a decent selection of scotch and try a few. Many nice steakhouses have good selections, that might be a place to start.

J.Walker Black is a smooth blended Scotch without a ridiculous price tag. It's the standard fare around our house, although I've been a Glenlivet fan for years. I have a nice 30 year old bottle sitting around waiting for that "special occasion" (it's right next to a glorious bottle of J.Walker Blue).

Some single malts can be a little strong and peaty, IMHO. Glenlivet and many of the other distillers in that area make a great Scotch without going overboard on the peat. It tends to get stronger as you go further north in Scotland (i.e., the Orkney Islands). Still a great drink, but the peat smoke can be overpowering...way more than any rauchbier I've ever had. Just find something that works for you and try different brands. Much like when I shop for beers, I'm always on the lookout for a Scotch I haven't tried before.

J.Walker Black is a smooth blended Scotch without a ridiculous price tag. It's the standard fare around our house, although I've been a Glenlivet fan for years. I have a nice 30 year old bottle sitting around waiting for that "special occasion" (it's right next to a glorious bottle of J.Walker Blue).

Some single malts can be a little strong and peaty, IMHO. Glenlivet and many of the other distillers in that area make a great Scotch without going overboard on the peat. It tends to get stronger as you go further north in Scotland (i.e., the Orkney Islands). Still a great drink, but the peat smoke can be overpowering...way more than any rauchbier I've ever had. Just find something that works for you and try different brands. Much like when I shop for beers, I'm always on the lookout for a Scotch I haven't tried before.

I got a bottle of blue from my realtor and one from my lender when I bought my house. One is gone and one yet to be opened. I too want to learn about sipping a nice scotch

If one bottle of Blue is gone, where did it go if you didn't drink it (re: I too want to learn about sipping a nice scotch.)?

Glenmorangie is a great way to start. Especially the madiera cask version.

My personal favorite is Highland Park 12. Not too expensive at around $60. Very smooth and caramel forward.

If one bottle of Blue is gone, where did it go if you didn't drink it (re: I too want to learn about sipping a nice scotch.)?

I enjoyed a couple glasses and the an old friend came by and chugged it like it was cuervo..... that was a bad night...lol

The variety is endless in scotch whiskies.

Try them at a place that has a wide list to choose from.

While some people love the BMC styles like Dewars they find the richer single malts to be undrinkable.

The popular BMC blends have the scotch flavor but lack the fullness and background flavors that the single malts are noted for.

I get a bottle or two of Aberlour A'bunadh ( 120 proof unfiltered ) each year and only a few of my friends ask for seconds. "Just TOO Scotchy" they say.

bosco

chipsah said:
Wait, chugged it like it was cuervo??? I didn't think that stuff was made for chugging either. :drunk:

It does make good jet fuel and driveway cleaner though. Actually, a top quality sipping tequila is right up there with Scotch. The cheap stuff will destroy you, but the good stuff can be very good.

The Balvenie doublewood is pretty nice. JW double black is also another one i like to sip after the kids go to bed.

Back