Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > unorthodox but possible? (juicebrew)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
desperatebrewer
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Likes Given: 1

Default unorthodox but possible? (juicebrew)

So I saw this video and am wondering If it is valid at all.

basically in this method, someone adds sugar and fast acting yeast straight to a container of juice. a few days later, it yields a high percentage of alcohol.


Im pretty sure it isn't possible to get 26% with this method.
Is this method even safe? Could this be dangerous? And would it even taste decent?

I am professional in other areas of brewing (cider beer ect.) this is just for fun.


desperatebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Well, he used what appears to be a TurboYeast and most are marketed with a potential of 23%, and we all know that thresholds are typically exceeded by a few points under ideal conditions.

I make a quick ferment similar to that using the E-Z Caps product, www.e-z-caps.com, but have never tried to hit 23% or higher. Really would not want to.
I will say I make an awesome BlueberryPom sparkling wine in less than seven days, it is much requested at gatherings.


__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara
saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
desperatebrewer
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Likes Given: 1

Default

Is there any danger in brewing with this^^^ method?
Is methanol only a factor when it comes to distillation?
desperatebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatebrewer
Is there any danger in brewing with this^^^ method?
Is methanol only a factor when it comes to distillation?
Methanol is not a concern with alcohol from yeast.

Other than a hangover, no other issues!
novalou is offline
desperatebrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Glen Burnie, Maryland
Posts: 1,400
Liked 130 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Lol, i'd say the biggest danger would be letting anyone with taste buds drink it! Ugh, sounds like 'rocket fuel' to me. :-P

Having said that, I know it's possible. I've got fellow homebrewers in the area who use turbo yeast all the time. It works up to 24% as far as I've been told. And that's from guys who use it.
WilliamSlayer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brulosopher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,808
Liked 264 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
Well, he used what appears to be a TurboYeast and most are marketed with a potential of 23%, and we all know that thresholds are typically exceeded by a few points under ideal conditions.

I make a quick ferment similar to that using the E-Z Caps product, www.e-z-caps.com, but have never tried to hit 23% or higher. Really would not want to.
I will say I make an awesome BlueberryPom sparkling wine in less than seven days, it is much requested at gatherings.
Recipe?
Brulosopher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
harriss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Default

saramc, what is your blueberryPom recipe?
harriss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Ok, do not laugh. This is for EZ caps use. I buy blueberry pom juice, try to find 100%. 64 oz for example. I usually add 1.5 cups sugar after removing the same volume juice. Save that juice. Add my EZ cap yeast, apply airlock....or transfer juice/sugar/yeast to a 2L bottle and use the EZ cap lid. Taste in about five days, remove airlock when ready to cold crash, seal bottle. It is usually nice and bubbly by the time I cold crash. I top off with juice as soon as I have volume available.
__________________
Motto: quel che sara sara
saramc is offline
Sammyk Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
MzAnnie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Columbia, Mississippi
Posts: 215
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Ok, do not laugh. This is for EZ caps use. I buy blueberry pom juice, try to find 100%. 64 oz for example. I usually add 1.5 cups sugar after removing the same volume juice. Save that juice. Add my EZ cap yeast, apply airlock....or transfer juice/sugar/yeast to a 2L bottle and use the EZ cap lid. Taste in about five days, remove airlock when ready to cold crash, seal bottle. It is usually nice and bubbly by the time I cold crash. I top off with juice as soon as I have volume available.
I am laughing!!! This is very interesting. I drink most of my wine young, (bottled and cold crashed after 2 1/2 months) with the exception of the carmel apple mead. Who knew you could make it in 7 days? The husband likes the bubbles...ALOT, I might have to order some of this yeast and give it a go! Thanks!
MzAnnie is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Sammyk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newton, NC
Posts: 189
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Can this be done without the cap and just an airlock and bung?


Sammyk is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unorthodox split-boiling seriousbeef Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 11-14-2012 06:52 PM
unorthodox priming question the_sloth Bottling/Kegging 3 02-10-2012 03:33 PM
Unorthodox partigyle APA rexbanner General Techniques 4 11-15-2011 01:50 AM
unorthodox bottling methods Ninjaneer Equipment/Sanitation 35 10-12-2008 07:01 PM
Unorthodox AG went well cheezydemon All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 08-26-2007 12:25 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS