Damn it people are frustrating - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Damn it people are frustrating

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #31
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Dan, while I think you are right that the world isnt getting any better (I rant and rave like a lunatic many days when I get home from work), I don't think it has gotten any WORSE either... over all. At least there is that.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #32
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Dan, while I think you are right that the world isnt getting any better (I rant and rave like a lunatic many days when I get home from work), I don't think it has gotten any WORSE either... over all. At least there is that.
You wait until you get home from work to rant and rave?? Why not do it AT work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass
I sure that son of a &#)$*@#!!&#@ is in prison by now and I hope he gets cornholed every day.
IF there's justice, he's getting his due every day/night. Unfortunately, unless you know he was caught, chances are it's not happening.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2177 Times on 1363 Posts

There's what?

We choose the life we live, maybe not always. Sometimes it is taken from us. Sometimes we dominate our little world. We live life but the end is not our choice.

Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #34
Bedlam

Recipes 

Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts

We go to Asheville frequently and I keep some dollar bills in my front pocket for folks playing music on the street. Plain ol' beggars who just ask for dough get a friendly "peace be with you" but no money. Giving to charities for homelessness is so much more effective for the community. But I don't demean them or ignore them.

I was mugged in Memphis once, when I was 20. Single girl against two street punks? I was lucky they didn't take more than about $6 and a cheap necklace. Scared the hell outta me.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #35
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
There's what?
Didn't say that it was delivered via the criminal justice system.
Quote:
We choose the life we live, maybe not always. Sometimes it is taken from us. Sometimes we dominate our little world. We live life but the end is not our choice.
Not always true...

Which makes you wonder... Is the "criminal justice system" really an oxymoron these days? I mean, don't enough guilty people get 'off' and too many innocent people get put away to make you really wonder?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #36
Raenon

Recipes 

Jan 2012
York, PA
Liked 76 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Unfortunately, the store that allowed the man to use her card could be sued, or at the very least in hot water. Failing to ask for ID, when the card has a woman's name on it, and it's a man standing there using it, should (at least) get the person who processed the transaction reprimanded.
Unfortunately, and weirdly, untrue.
There is no law requiring anyone to check id or even look at the name, nor a law protecting the establishment if they decide to go that extra step to protect the cardholder.

VISA and MasterCard do however have their own policy regarding ID-checks: You cannot require a cardholder to provide identification of any kind. If the cardholder refuses to show id, no matter what the store policy, or what the card itself* says, the merchant agreement with Visa and MC requires them to process the card in good faith, or risk losing their account entirely.

Several large companies of course routinely ignore this (and aren't corrected because it's big money they're processing) but a small convenience store can lose their account for a variety of reasons, which means a lot of hassle.

The only thing that would protect the store in that case is if the clerk KNEW for a fact that the person presenting a card wasn't the cardholder listed, without asking for that ID. As in, willing to swear in court that it's not, not "No way his name is Shirley" sure.

Of course, he bought cigarettes too, so they could have checked the ID for that, and then they would have been sure, and THAT is protected by law on any transactions including tobacco in most states (and almost as many states on alcohol sales)

* Know all those people that sign their card as "Check ID"? The card isn't valid unless it's ACTUALLY signed. You can put extra instructions on there, but it doesn't matter either way, and the merchant IS allowed (in fact, required in their contract with Visa/MC) to deny the card without the signature appearing, as the card isn't considered valid unless you agree to all terms of using it, which is done by signing

Reason: addendum

Old 01-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #37
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2177 Times on 1363 Posts

Raenon, You seem to be pretty aware of the facts. Why? Work for a CC place, lawyer or something. Not bashing or criticizing just curious.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #38
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5307 Times on 4518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I advise people not to give anything, although I have heard the advice to keep a little cash in an easily accessible place to give up if someone attempts to rob you. Personally, I tell people to immediately run while screaming anything you want to say very loudly, unless of course there's a weapon displayed.

Robbery was a very common crime where I used to work, so I have a ton to experience with them. The vast majority of the time, when the victim fights back or flees, the perp gives up.

By the way, no robbery tonight. We're arguing over what we got right now but it's definitely not a robbery.
Does the anatomy match the attire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You wait until you get home from work to rant and rave?? Why not do it AT work?
That's a damn job requirement for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
Unfortunately, and weirdly, untrue.
There is no law requiring anyone to check id or even look at the name, nor a law protecting the establishment if they decide to go that extra step to protect the cardholder.

VISA and MasterCard do however have their own policy regarding ID-checks: You cannot require a cardholder to provide identification of any kind. If the cardholder refuses to show id, no matter what the store policy, or what the card itself* says, the merchant agreement with Visa and MC requires them to process the card in good faith, or risk losing their account entirely.

Several large companies of course routinely ignore this (and aren't corrected because it's big money they're processing) but a small convenience store can lose their account for a variety of reasons, which means a lot of hassle.

The only thing that would protect the store in that case is if the clerk KNEW for a fact that the person presenting a card wasn't the cardholder listed, without asking for that ID. As in, willing to swear in court that it's not, not "No way his name is Shirley" sure.

Of course, he bought cigarettes too, so they could have checked the ID for that, and then they would have been sure, and THAT is protected by law on any transactions including tobacco in most states (and almost as many states on alcohol sales)

* Know all those people that sign their card as "Check ID"? The card isn't valid unless it's ACTUALLY signed. You can put extra instructions on there, but it doesn't matter either way, and the merchant IS allowed (in fact, required in their contract with Visa/MC) to deny the card without the signature appearing, as the card isn't considered valid unless you agree to all terms of using it, which is done by signing
None of my cards are signed. No one checks and with all the swipe it yourself machines, I hardly ever hand the card over anyway.

Awareness and avoidance is a good defense. It's not a guarantee. People aint no good. But being aware of who's around and what they are doing can go a long way. Know where you are too. It can happen anywhere. Some places are more likely though.

Walking around half crazy helps too. And it's fun.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #39
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Sac City, IA
Liked 363 Times on 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Does the anatomy match the attire?

That's a damn job requirement for us.

None of my cards are signed. No one checks and with all the swipe it yourself machines, I hardly ever hand the card over anyway.

Awareness and avoidance is a good defense. It's not a guarantee. People aint no good. But being aware of who's around and what they are doing can go a long way. Know where you are too. It can happen anywhere. Some places are more likely though.

Around here, for anything under $25, even if they swipe the card, they don't ask for a signature. Haven't for a couple years now. Even the electronic, swipe-it-yourself ones won't prompt for a signature under $25

Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #40
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Just twitch your head and curse randomly while waving your arms. They will steer clear...