Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Looking for recommendations on new brew kettle

Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
shrike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Looking for recommendations on new brew kettle

I just started getting back into AG brewing after taking a break for ~ 5 years. Already have a few batches in primary. I do 5 gallon batches, brew outside with gas, recently started batch sparging (previously fly), and keg my beer.

My brew kettle isn't the greatest. I got it off of ebay many years ago and while SS, it has a lot of sharp edges. I'm tired of slicing my fingers, so I want to upgrade. I've read through a lot of the comparison posts (such as 4 Popular Brew Kettles Compared); they were very helpful. What I'd like is:

• 10 gallon capacity. I have been boiling from 7 1/2 gal down to 5 1/2.
  • Thermo so that I can stop abusing my original glass thermometer (for when chilling wort). Damn things bangs around and sooner or later I am going to break it.
  • Sight glass (I want to get a little more precise so that I can better calculate boil off and efficiency).
  • Do a better job with not collecting trub if possible.

My local HBS had this: Bayou Classic 10 gallon Brew Kettle which would be nearly perfect except that it didn't have the sight glass. This kettle appears to be relatively new or at least I didn't see a lot of people talking about it. It has a pretty nifty bottom that is included--the SS bottom plus a SS mesh. I am a bit worried about the dead space. It doesn't look too bad, but I would probably want to install the sight glass myself... something that I am trying to avoid. If anyone has this kettle, please chime in. This would be about $220 plus say another $30 for weldless sight glass kit plus say brush and heat shield. Might cost me a little more because I think I ruined my step bit a while back. Figure we're under $300.

The alternative is probably either this Polar Ware pot which is at $330, plus I'd have to add in the thermo (~$25) plus anything I want to add in for the filtering... false bottom or otherwise.

OR I could go with the blingman... but it looks like any additional kettle bottom would be extra... to the tune of about another $75. To get a equivalent set up we'd be looking at nearly $400.

So I guess I'm looking anyone who might have had experience with this particular Bayou, especially if they've modified it. I am pretty sure this is the way that I want to go, but since we're talking more than a couple of hundred bucks (and since I might have to drill it as well), I'd like to be really sure.

TIA.

JB

Reason: Had link to 8 gal version of Bayou. Corrected it to 10 gal version.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

After too many DIY projects I decided to pay upfront. Ordered a 20 gallon Stout Kettle today with sight glass, tangential port, out port and thermowell. Comes with valves, fittings, thermometer and has a conical bottom to collect trub....It's pricey though....even the 15 gallon with all that is over $500. I didn't price the 10 gallon because I wanted to go 20 even though I'm doing 5-6 gallon batches now.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger
shrike Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Www.homebrewstuff.com

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/10-gall...ermometer.html

I have their heavy duty 25 gallon 3 pot setup. Great price and excellent equipment.

I highly recommend them!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

They have it in bare setup, MLT with false bottom, brew kettle or HLT with sight glass.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have this pot. It's 20 gal, but if you check his other offerings he has smaller (and larger) ones. A very good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80-QT-Qu...item2c6b1cdc1d

Then you get a weldless kit for your ball valve and a sight glass. That will be another $60 or $70 depending on where you get it. Then you need to punch the holes with a step punch and seal it all up with Rector Seal. You can have a good 20 gal pot for about $120 or so and some elbow grease.
shrike Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
shrike
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
After too many DIY projects I decided to pay upfront. Ordered a 20 gallon Stout Kettle today with sight glass, tangential port, out port and thermowell. Comes with valves, fittings, thermometer and has a conical bottom to collect trub....It's pricey though....even the 15 gallon with all that is over $500. I didn't price the 10 gallon because I wanted to go 20 even though I'm doing 5-6 gallon batches now.
From here I'm assuming? This wasn't an option that I'd seen before. I'll also check it out too.

JB

Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
reinstone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Instawares.com. Update international stainless stockpots are the same as mdgapots sold everyehere. A step bit , weldless fitting and you are there. PM me with questions. They have pots of all sizes.
Lagering:Kolsch, Dusseldorf alt
American Amber, Red ale
Double ipa, Rye ipa
Fermenting: German pils
Wheat 1,Wheat 2
All to be kegged and served by May 10

Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have several friends that homebrew and have different types of store bought kettles. No matter how fancy or expensive they are, everyone prefers the converted kegs that I use with sight tubes and thermo's. They're very functional and way cheaper to make as long as you can acquire a keg. Bobby at Brewhardware.com has every piece of hardware you would need to do this weather you weld fittings or go weldless. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
jdub1782
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a look at the stainless kettles from www.spikebrewing.com. I have the 15 gallon with two welded fittings (horizontal) and I use it for both 5 and 10 gallon batches. I have been very impressed with this pot.

If you are interested in his pots, check the vendor section of hbt as he sometimes runs specials for members.
shrike Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
Ajgeo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here is another option. These kettles are nice and cheap.

shrike Likes This