Is it the rye? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is it the rye?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Liked 879 Times on 587 Posts

I recently made a batch of How Rye I Am saison (25% rye). I tasted it several times (shortly after primary then a few months later) and it tasted smokey and phenolic. I assumed it was infected, until I remembered I made (and dumped) another rye beer that tasted exactly the same... the AHS Blonde Rye (12.5% rye). The saison was all grain, the Blond Rye was extract. I haven't had this flavor in any other beers.

Do I hate rye or have a on-again-off-again infection? I kind of like Great Divide's Hoss Rye Lager, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
VaBrewer

Recipes 

May 2011
Manassas, VA
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I have done several Rye Saisons, I almost never like them right after they were carbed. Wait, it will evolve and get better. How old is it?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
riverme
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Greenville, SC
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I use Rye I find that it takes longer to settle out. Wait atleast 3-4 weeks after carbing.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
aiptasia

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts

Rye malt has that intense spicy bite, and that's most likely what you're tasting. It will settle down in a few weeks if you give it time. In your next batches, try a 5% addition on the grain bill and see how that does for you.

My favorite solution to the rye bite is using flaked rye instead of rye malt. It's much less harsh on the tongue. I use a pound of flaked rye on my RyeIPA and it comes out with just this subtle bit of rye spice. Much more sweet and subtle.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
blizzard

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Liked 879 Times on 587 Posts

Thanks guys. It's about 8 weeks old right now, so maybe it is just a flavor that doesn't jive with me. I'll try a smaller amount and see how flaked rye works out.