Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation Fridge questions

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
bojacked
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermentation Fridge questions

I've had a beer serving fridge for a while now and I've just gotten a fermenting fridge to do temp control. I dont have any temp controller yet. The fridge is an older frigidare with the freezer on the top. I was wondering if I really need to use a temp controller or can I just use the fridge temp adjustment to get it close and not really worry about it? The only reason I'm concerned because I'd really like to be able to use the freezer on this unit as normal but I doubt that will work with a temp controller. Does anyone have any insight on this? And as long as I'm asking I'd like to know if one temp controller is better than another or if it matters. I saw rebel brewer has a nice deal that's pre-wired for dual mode but its Celcius only, will that be sacrificing some of the accruacy on the unit by not being able to adjust it via Farenheight?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The only way to know for sure is to stick a thermometer in the fridge and see how well it can maintain temps. Watch it for a few days and see if it holds close to your goal. I bet it will be just fine.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I have the unit rebel sells but wired it myself. Celsius is fine.

I like the controller because I set the parameters and forget about it for the next two weeks with absolute certainty temperatures are right where they need to be.
Monkfish Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Monkfish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I picked up a STC-1000 unit controller on eBay for <$25 - as 241 said, being able to set it and walk away for a couple weeks without worry is a really good thing. Wiring the thing up is a snap and there are good instructions/diagrams on HBT on how to do it.

As for Celcius - I just printed up a C to F conversion chart and stuck it to the side of the temp controller box. No lost accuracy to worry about.
241 Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
bojacked
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

with a temp controller on a standard fridge/freezer can you still maintain freezing temperatures in the freezer? my wife wants more freezer space lol.

thanks for the great replies.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Pretty sure that answer no.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
bojacked
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I was thinking but just wanted to know what to expect. I'll play with the adjustments on the fridge and see what it does.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Macrophylla
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojacked
with a temp controller on a standard fridge/freezer can you still maintain freezing temperatures in the freezer? my wife wants more freezer space lol.

No, in my experience the freezer will stay at about 32-36 depending on your layering temp in the fridge, works great for dry aging beef though or holding bottles of ready to drink beer

Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 495 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojacked View Post

I added a temp controller because I wanted the temp swing tighter but you can close off the damper that allows the cold air via the fan current to the fresh food area. I had originally used the t-stat in the fridge turned to it's warmest setting and was holding 48-56 degrees and -1 degrees with the damper at 2nd from closed. I added the control to the freezer and run the heat setting to a fan to draw cold air into the lagering-fresh food area. I now have 0* in the freezer and 52*in the fresh food area. Heads up Ice cream likes -8 or colder otherwise it gets soft

Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
greenhaze
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Get the Control Products controller. It's dual stage and reads in F. It's easy to wire and program. When it's set that's it walk away.
Slainte