Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Vanilla Imperial Stout

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just checked the FG and it is at 1.029. The OG calculated was at 1.128. I did added in a half lb of dex with the last dme and molasses I forgot to mention. So this is sitting pretty at 12.99%. Lets just round that up to 13% lol. I only tasted a few drops from the thief, and of course I just brushed my teeth, but it tasted great, and I could get the hint of some booze. I am going to rack this over the vanilla beans and bourbon later tonight. Then she sits for 3-4 months. Btw this thing is super black, it looks freaking awesome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130127_160513.png
Views:	225
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	96973

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
sweed
Recipes 

I got to racking this tonight. I filled it up really high in my carboy, so I got a little more liquid out of it than I thought. The sample smells good, and tastes good also. Of course there's some booze to it, and that's why I am leaving this for a good 3-4 months to bulk age before I bottle it. It should be ready for the fall/winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130128_181723.png
Views:	181
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	97195

Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
RIC0
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

B. Ute. E. ful.

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0 View Post
B. Ute. E. ful.
Thanks, the waiting is going to stink. That's why I'll have to keep on brewing. I think some type of Belgian next.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
RIC0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
Thanks, the waiting is going to stink. That's why I'll have to keep on brewing. I think some type of Belgian next.
I have a Coconut Imperial Stout that was born 2 months ago and been in bottles for a month. Had one 2 weeks ago and still needs some serious aging. Gonna leave them tucked away until March and try another to see were it's at.

You say belgian, I did my frist belian white a few months back, partial mash. Absolutley love it. Making more very soon.

The belian Tripel I have is very young and wont see my belly for another 8+ weeks....

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin

Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #16
Jrbetz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
I got to racking this tonight. I filled it up really high in my carboy, so I got a little more liquid out of it than I thought. The sample smells good, and tastes good also. Of course there's some booze to it, and that's why I am leaving this for a good 3-4 months to bulk age before I bottle it. It should be ready for the fall/winter.
I'm not going to lie I like the idea you're doing with the vanilla beans, do you think it would turn out with out if I also add oak to the secondary? What's your thoughts

Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
RIC0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbetz View Post
I'm not going to lie I like the idea you're doing with the vanilla beans, do you think it would turn out with out if I also add oak to the secondary? What's your thoughts
With my imperial stout when I racked to secondary both toasted coconut and french oak chips went into the secondary so I say go for it.

Mead Primary - Nuttin

Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrbetz View Post

I used oak chips the last time. I think I should have soaked those as well. It turned out pretty oaky. I think I left them in the secondary for 13 days. I hear a week is enough time. I only used 1 oz. I didn't want any oak this time.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #19
sweed
Recipes 

So I bottled this yesterday. The biggest thing I found out, I guess, is that the vanilla flavor will get to a certain point and that's it, because after being in the secondary for about 2 months the flavors didn't change since the last time I tasted it a few weeks ago. The vanilla is not huge and over the top. The bourbon probably balances it out I guess.
The FG dropped to 1.027. And this made exactly 5 gallons. 28 bombers and a little extra I couldn't bottle . The sample tasted pretty good, with the bourbon followed by the vanilla. Ya it's got some alcohol to it, but being 13%, that's what I expected, and this will be aging in a basement until earliest this fall. I will keep a few just for 'testing purposes', haha. But these will easily go a few years, and I hope I can keep busy making more beers so I don't run out of these.
I don't know if I should try a sample in a month or 2 months? I should have taken my sample pic but I'll get one the next time I open one up.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #20
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed
So I bottled this yesterday. The biggest thing I found out, I guess, is that the vanilla flavor will get to a certain point and that's it, because after being in the secondary for about 2 months the flavors didn't change since the last time I tasted it a few weeks ago. The vanilla is not huge and over the top. The bourbon probably balances it out I guess.
The FG dropped to 1.027. And this made exactly 5 gallons. 28 bombers and a little extra I couldn't bottle . The sample tasted pretty good, with the bourbon followed by the vanilla. Ya it's got some alcohol to it, but being 13%, that's what I expected, and this will be aging in a basement until earliest this fall. I will keep a few just for 'testing purposes', haha. But these will easily go a few years, and I hope I can keep busy making more beers so I don't run out of these.
I don't know if I should try a sample in a month or 2 months? I should have taken my sample pic but I'll get one the next time I open one up.
So did you primary for two weeks secondary for two months and then you're going to bottle condition for nine months????