Anybody ever think about hiring a maid/servant - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Anybody ever think about hiring a maid/servant

Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
markm2151
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you've ever worked in a brewery, you'll know it's not glamourous at all. You wear rubber boots, have a shovel, and a canoe paddle. And you work hard- it's back breaking work. Brewing is mostly cleaning- mashtuns, boil kettles, pumps, hoses, equipement, etc. Then it's sanitizing. Then it's cleaning again.
I completely understand this. I volunteer for a local small brewing company and was seriously able to cancel my gym membership. Crawling in, under, around, over, and through fermenters, mash tuns, grates, silos, mills. Think cleaning at home is a pain, try doing it on a commercial scale. Hard work but awesome work.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Atascadero, Ca
Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

If you are the DIY type, you can scratch one together with a little sex. Insert TabA into SlotB, water as needed, put to work 10 yrs later.
This is what I did, except now I need to feed them, clothe them and buy them stuff.......not sure I was thinking with my head.

CDGoin Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Atascadero, Ca
Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno

Ha... I think I would feel too guilty giving my kids beer brewing chores.

My daughter had a Christmas shopping spree at school (thats what they teach them now) and she bought me the coolest dad beer cooling wrap. She already thinks my favorite thing to do is make and drink beer ... Imagine if she showed up at show and tell trying to teach the other kids how to measure final gravity with the hydrometer?

Yeah, I would be the worst dad in the class.

I think I could talk my wife into it if I let her pick the ingredients once in a while... and maybe even do the bottling on top of the dishwasher door like Revvy suggests. Right now I need to mop my garage floor as I have priming sugar and spilt beer from racking on the floor of the garage. I need to lean out my process, thats for sure.
I should have read the whole thread before my last post. I got a phone call from my oldest daughters Health teacher a few years ago with concerns of how much she knew about beer, my daughter had told me what happened in school so when I talked to the teacher I simply explained that I was a home brewer and that she has helped me make several batches and how she was concerned that his information was wrong and if he was going to discuss it in his class that he should have his facts straight.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Anybody ever think about hiring a maid or servant to brew/rack/bottle your beer for you?

This hobby might not be for lazy people.
You've got to be President to pull that off.

Dan Likes This 
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #15
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5528 Times on 4677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If you've ever worked in a brewery, you'll know it's not glamourous at all. You wear rubber boots, have a shovel, and a canoe paddle. And you work hard- it's back breaking work. Brewing is mostly cleaning- mashtuns, boil kettles, pumps, hoses, equipement, etc. Then it's sanitizing. Then it's cleaning again.
I work at a brewery?

Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2204 Times on 1381 Posts

Zuljin you work in a brewery? I was pretty sure you were some sort of mad scientist researching DNA. Wow, hate it when I'm wrong.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #17
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance

No. Just in a place with rubber boots, hoses, shovels, a canoe paddle (a nasty, nasty canoe paddle) tanks, mixers, pumps, equipment, microscopes and microorganisms.

It's akin to brewing though. Have to maintain the right environment for the right bugs to do the right things.

Screw a maid though. I don't need anybody snooping around.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #18
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
No. Just in a place with rubber boots, hoses, shovels, a canoe paddle (a nasty, nasty canoe paddle) tanks, mixers, pumps, equipment, microscopes and microorganisms.

It's akin to brewing though. Have to maintain the right environment for the right bugs to do the right things.

Screw a maid though. I don't need anybody snooping around.
I feel like that post should be on the Riddle Thread.

My next query would be to ask if you work in a dairy?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #19
Zuljin
TR Fitness King

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance

I stayed a week on one when I was a kid. Got to ride a cow. Got to do farm work too. It is not for lazy people. So, no, I don't work on a dairy.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 AM   #20
Dan

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
I stayed a week on one when I was a kid. Got to ride a cow. Got to do farm work too. It is not for lazy people. So, no, I don't work on a dairy.

Where do you work? Curious minds want to know.