Anybody ever think about hiring a maid/servant - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Anybody ever think about hiring a maid/servant

Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Anybody ever think about hiring a maid or servant to brew/rack/bottle your beer for you?

This hobby might not be for lazy people.

CDGoin Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Big_Cat

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Aventura, Florida
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Lol I am the maid/purchasing department /recipe maker/brewer /janitor/gopher/ label maker/ label installer and all of the other things that go along with it... To me the fun is in the stages and hats to wear at certain times.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
doctorRobert

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Sharon, MA
Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Anybody ever think about hiring a maid or servant to brew/rack/bottle your beer for you?

This hobby might not be for lazy people.
I have one. His name is Ken Grossman from Sierra Nevada.
Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
johns
Recipes 

Dec 2011
warrenville, illinios
Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts

yea bottling and cleaning the bottles suck. That's why I keg

Beer_is_good_for_you Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Liked 506 Times on 334 Posts

No but I am available for opening,consuming, if you ever get lazier.

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts

If you've ever worked in a brewery, you'll know it's not glamourous at all. You wear rubber boots, have a shovel, and a canoe paddle. And you work hard- it's back breaking work. Brewing is mostly cleaning- mashtuns, boil kettles, pumps, hoses, equipement, etc. Then it's sanitizing. Then it's cleaning again.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7031 Times on 4163 Posts

Quote:
If you are the DIY type, you can scratch one together with a little sex. Insert TabA into SlotB, water as needed, put to work 10 yrs later.

People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Liked 506 Times on 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
If you are the DIY type, you can scratch one together with a little sex. Insert TabA into SlotB, water as needed, put to work 10 yrs later.
He may want to farm that out as well

Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Ha... I think I would feel too guilty giving my kids beer brewing chores.

My daughter had a Christmas shopping spree at school (thats what they teach them now) and she bought me the coolest dad beer cooling wrap. She already thinks my favorite thing to do is make and drink beer ... Imagine if she showed up at show and tell trying to teach the other kids how to measure final gravity with the hydrometer?

Yeah, I would be the worst dad in the class.

I think I could talk my wife into it if I let her pick the ingredients once in a while... and maybe even do the bottling on top of the dishwasher door like Revvy suggests. Right now I need to mop my garage floor as I have priming sugar and spilt beer from racking on the floor of the garage. I need to lean out my process, thats for sure.

CDGoin Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7031 Times on 4163 Posts

Quote:
Ha... I think I would feel too guilty giving my kids beer brewing chores.

My daughter had a Christmas shopping spree at school (thats what they teach them now) and she bought me the coolest dad beer cooling wrap. She already thinks my favorite thing to do is make and drink beer ... Imagine if she showed up at show and tell trying to teach the other kids how to measure final gravity with the hydrometer?

Yeah, I would be the worst dad in the class.

I think I could talk my wife into it if I let her pick the ingredients once in a while... and maybe even do the bottling on top of the dishwasher door like Revvy suggests. Right now I need to mop my garage floor as I have priming sugar and spilt beer from racking on the floor of the garage. I need to lean out my process, thats for sure.
My kids have bottled many batches for me. It's a great learning event for everyone. There is all sorts of physics, chemistry and biology lessons there, as well as some good hand-on activity. I don't bottle anymore though so not so much for them to do now.

My 15-yr old made a keg of rootbeer a few weeks ago. He pulls that tap at least once a day. His soda tap is the one on the far right.