Brewers Best HopNog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystams

Reaction score
Started my first batch yesterday and pretty pumped.

After following all the directions and cooling the wort I combined the water and yeast into my fermenter (brewers best also). Few questions too ease my mind.

It has been going for 24 hour and I see no bubbles? Seems that I just have to relax and let the yeastie friends do their work. But how long till I should see bubbles and if not what should I do.

Also anyone that has done this one any suggestions for how long till I move into secondary fermenter?

Thanks all!

Yeah I will let it roll. Any suggestions if I do not see any bubbles after another day or so?

Did you get a temperature reading on the wort before pitching yeast? Mine was a really vigorous ferment.

Got wort down to 70-72 degrees and added to the fermenter.

I have bubbles now. 1 every 7-8 seconds. Makes me feel better. Just impatient with me first batch.

What would a vigorous ferment be? Is there a ratio that would qualify as that? Just trying to get this new addiction under control. Ha

By vigorous, I mean that the bubbling was a steady stream of gas and looking like a blow-off waiting to happen. 70-72 degrees sounds right for the Safale 05 yeast. I assume that the make up water was also at 70-72.

So I switched to a blow-off tube in the middle of the night. You might keep an eye on it. Perhaps put in a blow off tube to avoid a huge mess. I used a 3 ft piece of siphon hose - it fit snugly in the air lock hole in top of the fermenter. Put the other end in a clean jug of water with sanitizer. I'll post a pic in a few minutes...

blowoff.JPG

Back