Snowshoe WV beer - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Snowshoe WV beer

Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Vellum
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Dripping Springs, Texas
Liked 42 Times on 32 Posts

Hey all,

I'm headed up to Snowshoe WV for a few days shortly and I was wondering what breweries/beers I should try while up there. I live in Norfolk, VA so it isn't exactly far away but I don't want to miss out on anything unique.

Cheers,
Vellum

Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Frederick, Maryland
Liked 61 Times on 51 Posts

If you are heading thru Waynesboro, VA you can hit Starhill, Blue Mountain and Devils Backbone breweries. The later two have excellent food as well.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Vellum
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Dripping Springs, Texas

I hear ya. I work in Charlottesville quite a bit. Devil's backbone is one of my favorites. Was hoping to hear more west Virginia specific but maybe it is a bit dry there so to speak.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
aiptasia

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts

Beer advocate has a really good section on local breweries, with good ratings. Check them out.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Vellum
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Dripping Springs, Texas

Thank you, I didn't realize BA had that.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Recipes 

May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Liked 455 Times on 293 Posts

As my home state it pains me to say this...there is not anything beer wise worthwhile in WV

Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Hawley, PA
Liked 89 Times on 68 Posts

Unfortunately there's nothing really close. Bridge Brew Works in Fayetteville is about 2 hours away, as is Blackwater. Maybe Snowshoe has some local beer in their restaurant, but given that craft beer is having a rough, slow time moving into WV after the 2009 "pop the cap" it might be good to take a little backup beer with you.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Vellum
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Dripping Springs, Texas

Well I wandered around the village today. I can't say the selection is huge but there are a few offerings for anyone who follows in my footsteps. Great lakes brewing is here, I saw their porter (could have been a stout, I didn't ask) as well as their Elliot ness amber lager (although the keg had kicked so I didn't get to try it). The beer I did have was a Seneca ipa by mountain brewing Co. Which the bartender said was a WV beer.

So with that being said if anyone follows in my footsteps, there is some craft beer to try here that I have not found in my neck of the woods (Norfolk, VA) and the ipa was fairly tasty although served at almost frozen temps at cheats pizza.

Happy brewing and drinking everyone, and thank you for your replies.