Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Shaking/Swirling or stirring for De Gassing?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVertebrae View Post
Buckwheat has some taste to it thats for sure. Its an aquired taste. Mine turned out great.

As to aeration, I found that vigorous swirling did the trick quite nicely. Like shaking a soda, the CO2 bubbles out. If you leave the air lock on while swirling youll see tons of bubbles being released. I didn't aerate my first few meads but I did the latest two. I found that the areatede meads finished dmuch more quickly. Both also have "rounder" taste and feel, if that makes any sense. Not as tart or astrengent. One was a pinapple/mango mead and the flavors really came ot very clear as opposed to the blackberry/raspberry mead which did not get aerated.

Ii need to get the drill attachment for the next mead. Swirling is a pain.
Thanks for the reply

I forgot to mention I did leave the airlock in place and found the same
as DrVertebrae it foams up quite a bit and should do a good job of degassing. In the long run I will have to taste and see what the difference may be since I'm new to mead making.