Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First Brew

Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
JCW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Brew

I just completed my first brew and I am totally hooked!

I think everything went pretty good... But before the boil I was totally unprepared...

Besides the plastic fermenter, etc. I was pretty much ready to go except I discovered that my kettle could only hold 4 gallons. I suppose I could have done a partial boil, but being a first timer I didn't want to risk a catastrophe. So off to the store I went...

Everyone there was pretty cool to me. I asked them about their kits and they helped me pick out an American Pale Ale recipe kit. When I asked about brew pots, he suggested I buy an 8 gallon one with double-sided walls and a ball valve fitting. It also has a fitting for a thermometer. Twas a bit more than I wanted to pay but I considered the long term and I thought I was good first upgrade to my gear.

Anyway, got the kit, got the kettle... warp speed home.

Unpacked the kit, clean/sanitized my equipment ... Super excited!! ... And then I realized I didn't pick up any water...

Fast forward ...OK so now back from the market, water in the sweet new brew pot, getting ready to steep my specialty grains... and realize... I have no muslin bags. A little defeated at this point, I turn to Google to see, if by the love of everything holy, there was a closer HBS near me. Prayers answered, and it was 10 minutes away. I need to get out more...

The boil went pretty good with the exception that I couldn't get one burner on my stove to put out enough juice to boil all that water. I decided to try turning on 2 burners and positioned the pot to sit over both. It worked. The other issue I had was... the utensil I used to stir the wort was a little uh ... short. Burnt my fingers a bit but I bet it's gonna be worth it in the long run.

I learned a few things on my first brew:
1) Be prepared
2) Don't Panic
3) Be patient

It's been in the fermenter for about 9 hrs now. No activity yet but I'm sure it'll happen soon.

Pontiac_Guy Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Sounds like your a quick learner. The three things you listed are golden advice. Congrats!!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
grem135
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Sounds Great! Welcome to the obsession.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3016 Times on 2602 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

It always helps me to make a list of everything I need if I'm going to the lhbs for supplies. We're all like kids in a candy store as soon as we walk in! So a list helps one to stay focused. Otherwise,it sounds like you're on your way to some good beers!

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
JCW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely write out a supplies list next time. Happy New Year all.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3016 Times on 2602 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

Especially about the end of January when my current pm pale ale will be ready!

Old 12-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 13

just so you know... that "be patient" one is going to be sorely tested for the next 7 weeks.

and welcome to the fun

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
JCW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In truth I wish it was already bottled in my fridge... I'd poked my head in and it's bubbling away. I think I'm going to run out and grab another fermenter today.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It always helps me to make a list of everything I need if I'm going to the lhbs for supplies. We're all like kids in a candy store as soon as we walk in! So a list helps one to stay focused. Otherwise,it sounds like you're on your way to some good beers!

^^^^ this about the list.

really important because without it the money seems to fly away really fast.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
In truth I wish it was already bottled in my fridge... I'd poked my head in and it's bubbling away. I think I'm going to run out and grab another fermenter today.

oh boy, this one's hooked big time.

and, for what it's worth, after my first brew I went out and bought three cases of one gallon carboys so i could have at least SIX batches going at any one time if i wanted to.

so far, i've only got up to five at a time.

welcome to the abyss