Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WOW beers! What are yours?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

For me it was Saisons--light, interesting, fruity, and dry on the finish to make you want another.

Also, Christmas spice, West Coast Red, pumpkin ale, pale ale, and rye mild.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Citrusy Summer Ale, Kolsch, Witbier, Hefes, or anything lite and or lagered. Both of my stouts went over very well as have all my brews. Buuut, when giving something to a BMC drinker I have just given the lightest stuff I happen to have on-hand.

Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 620 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 726

For me it was my Bog Myrtle Elderberry Pale Ale but my friends are craft beer lovers. If I were going to make a style to impress the BMC crowd I'd brew a fruit beer, Blonde, or a malty sweet Amber ale.

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Equinox/Citra/Amarillo APA
Primary :
Primary :
On Tap : Muddy Waters Stout, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout,
On Deck : Chocolate Wit, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Black Caesar RIS

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My friends like free beer. If they come over, they don't have to pay.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #15
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have an Amber that everyone likes, my friends are a at opposite ends of the beer spectrum some drink craft beer and others love PBR but the Amber makes them both happy.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I question the premise...why bother? My best brews are exactly what they don't like (a nice coffee Porter and a hoppy APA - hoppy enough to better fit the IPA style guidelines).

If they don't appreciate the flavor of the various malts and hops, replicating BMC isn't accomplishing much, besides more homebrew for you.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I get rave reviews from non-beer drinkers and Coors light fans on by German hefeweizens and lower gravity Belgian saisons. They have nice fresh flavors they've never tasted without being heavily hopped or overly malty. Stouts, IPAs and bigger, malt forward brews generally turn off the Coors light fan. Kolsh is a good call too, but I like to push their boundries at least a bit!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by strambo
I question the premise...why bother? My best brews are exactly what they don't like (a nice coffee Porter and a hoppy APA - hoppy enough to better fit the IPA style guidelines).

If they don't appreciate the flavor of the various malts and hops, replicating BMC isn't accomplishing much, besides more homebrew for you.
I think it's that when people find out that you make beer they are excited to try some, you want to keep that same excitement going. I have never made a beer to make someone else happy but it's nice when they are as pleased as you. My BIL was over for the holidays and is a High Life drinker and does try what I offer him but the best compliment was when he told me my Amber was "the best and well balanced beer you have made" coming from a BMC drinker I'll take that "Wow" factor.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by strambo View Post
I question the premise...why bother? My best brews are exactly what they don't like .
What I was trying to get at wasn't how to please commercial beer drinkers with your best beer, but what beer did you brew that they liked. I'm relatively new to craft beers, and it was only a few years ago I thought a hoppy beer sucked, but now I'm learning to home brew and would someday like to share my knowledge with others. And what better way to boost my ego than to have a loyal Coors Light drinker ask me for another of my home brews. When it comes to home brew I want to be "The Man".

Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #20
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I was a BMC brewery rep for 20+ years. Hefeweizen got me out of fizzy yellow...Belgian Wit interested me in flavors...and the milder pale ales built my interest in hops. It is a gradual process, but once the journey begins there is no turning back. IMHO, that was the process that turned me. If you rush it, you will not get a favorable response. Just like building a tolerance to spicy food. A little hotter is ok.

Now that I am no longer with BMC, I don't have to pretend to hate those craft styles for being unbalanced. Had 5 Deschutes IPAs tonight at a wedding and loved every one of them...would not have happened 2 years ago. Meanwhile, the Redhook IPAs that seemed strong in my BMC days had a disappointingly weak hop character last night. How things change!

I've been saved...