Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate filter vs. canister filter

Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
RazorCatchPrey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Plate filter vs. canister filter

I am looking into buying a filtration system. Does anyone have any input as to whether the plate style filter or the canister style filter is the way to go? They appear to function pretty much the same and cost pretty much the same.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

With proper brewing technique filtration is not needed.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
RazorCatchPrey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Really? You bothered to post just to imply that I must not be a very good brewer if I feel the need to filter. Yeah, if I had a conical, and could afford and had space for an extra fridge or chest freezer for cooler fermenting and cold crashing, I could probably produce crystal clear beer. Since that isn't an option for me, and since the only complaint I ever receive from people who try my beers is that they don't like the haziness, I am looking to invest in a filtration system. Since Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, Rebel Brewer, and most every LHBS I have been in all sell them, there must be a lot of brewers out there using improper brewing techniques and find filters to be helpful.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

Filters have their place, although people with limited experience may not think so (zingback).

Seriously, when I looked into filtering, I decided on a canister system. Mostly because you can get the filter inserts just about anywhere.

AND you can make an adapter to turn it into a hop randal. Can't do that with a plate filter.

PS Commercial breweries often use filters to "polish" the beer. Guess they don't know what they are doing either.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
sudbuster Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Satisfaction
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Even Sierra Nevada filters..

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Sierra...ss.-a020805144

I am lucky enough to be able to cold crash and avoid filtering, but not everyone can do this. My brewing friend uses a canister filter and the results are fantastic.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 647 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satisfaction View Post
Even Sierra Nevada filters
Really?

Then they do a poor job at it. Almost every one of their Pale Ales, heck even their Celebration Ale bottles I was rjnsing last night had trub.

Of all the last 10 cases I've washed, they turn my PBW the greenest by far.

Doesnt affect the taste. Most people don't even notice the trub. But it's certainly there.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Satisfaction
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

Really?

Then they do a poor job at it. Almost every one of their Pale Ales, heck even their Celebration Ale bottles I was rjnsing last night had trub.

Doesnt affect the taste. Most people don't even notice the trub. But it's certainly there.
This is because they bottle condition their beers as well.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Filters are often used to REMOVE the yeast and and proteins and etc. One of the reasons that craft and homebrewing beers have taste. Yooper has a good run on this, search the site. Never said that you were a bad brewer never would say that without trying your beer. I have my beers come out clear if style calls for cloudy(heffe). Proper fermentation temps will help quite noticeably. If the beer doesn't clear on it's own and you could correct it by changing an aspect of your process, I have changed techniques that I have picked up on this site which is what I love about it. If your process is prefect I apologize. Supply houses are in business to sell items, they sell clear beer bottles too, but most brewers don't use them. IMHO. Good Luck

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

Really?

They filter, then add a measured amount of yeast back to bottle condition. Should pour the beer off the yeast.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you keg or bottle? If you bottle you will have to add yeast at bottling for bottle conditioning. If you keg, putting the keg in your fridge has the effect of cold crashing and you get pretty clear beer. (All the yeast that fell out comes out in the first few pours and the remainder comes out in the last glass. Switching to a 3-4 week primary (at room temps) has significantly reduced the amount if yeast in my kegs maybe longer process would help you too.