Think I screwed up pitching liuis yeast - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Think I screwed up pitching liuis yeast

Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
donnelj
Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Baltimore, MI

I'm a noob on my second batch a Dark Winter Wheat kit. It was recommended that I substitute the powder yeast pack with a pouch of liquid yeast. The directions on the kit didn't really explain the process of prepping the yeast. When it came time for pitching yeast, I just took the pouch out of the fridge sanitized the outside of the pack, cut it and poured it in. Oops ... There was a second Pouch in the pouch. After looking at the packet I realized that I was supposed to squeeze it to break the inner packet and let it sit at room temp for a couple hours. Crap! Now what?

So I just cut open the inner packet and poured that into the wort too. Is there any chance this batch will still turn out? Is there anything I can do now to help it? Should just pour it out and count it as the cost of education? Advice please?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
donnelj
Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Baltimore, MI

Sorry. The title of the thread should say "liquid yeast"

Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
MrOrange

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Louisville, KY
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

DO NOT POUR IT OUT. The beer will turn out fine. One issue with liquid yeast is that one packet normally doesn't have the cell count needed for a five gallon batch and that is why you will hear people talking about making starters. Next time you pitch liquid yeast try making a starter or pitching multiple pouches. There are multiple yeast pitching rate calculator on the internet (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html). Once again your beer will be fine.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
donnelj
Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Baltimore, MI

So does that mean that the fermentation process could take longer than the recommended 7-10 days?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
MrOrange

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Louisville, KY
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

It is hard to say for sure without knowing the recipe and brewing process details.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Ohio
Liked 634 Times on 554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnelj View Post
So does that mean that the fermentation process could take longer than the recommended 7-10 days?
Fermentation should take about the same time. The potential problems are:

- It will take longer to start, allowing more time for any other contaminants to spoil the wort before the yeast starts.
- You can get more fusel alcohols and other flavors from the yeast due to it being stressed.
- It may not attenuate completely.

Please note, these are only potential problems. You may not notice anything wrong.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
dogbar
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to add the packet of dry yeast that came with the kit. That will get your counts up.

If the liquid yeast you're using is a hefeweizen yeast, stressing it too much can really bring out the banana notes.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
donnelj
Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Baltimore, MI

Thanks for all the great feedback. Unfortunately, I traded the dry for the liquid yeast so I can't add the dry packet. It's been 48 hours and I'm not seeing much activity in the airlock yet. I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
donnelj
Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Baltimore, MI

Alright, we've reached the 60 hour mark since pitching yeast and see very little activity. Considering running up to the brew store and getting a dry packet to pitch on top. Opinions?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
midfielder5

Recipes 

Jan 2009
San Francisco, CA
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts

Have you taken a hydrometer reading to make sure it hasnt been fermenting?

What was the brew OG? (OG over 1.060 can take longer to start)

How old was the yeast? ( the smack packs have a date on it. Older yeast could take longer to start.)

Anyways, it could take up to 72 hours to show active fermentation for liquid yeast pitched without a starter.