First AG Brew Day set for Saturday... Wish Me Luck! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First AG Brew Day set for Saturday... Wish Me Luck!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
oceans11_gt
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Mosinee, WI
Posts: 53
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Hey all, as stated I'm taking the leap into All-Grain starting on Saturday. I bought all my ingredients last night from my LHBS for my Scotch Ale. Tonight I have to finish up my MLT Cooler but it didn't leak last night. Excited for the new endeavor, but hopefully I won't have too many screw ups. In the end I'll have beer I'm sure just hopefully I don't screw up the efficiency too bad.

Here's my recipe:

16lbs American 2-Row
8oz Crystal 120L
8oz Crystal 75L
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Cara-Pils
3/4oz Magnum Hops (60 min)
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast

Beersmith says OG should be 1.090 I believe, so hopefully I hit somewhere around there. Starter will be made tonight.

Comments?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
nbrack
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 92
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Good luck! I am a new AG brewer myself. My advice for your first batch is to keep some extra sparge water on hand as well as some cold water in case you have problems with temps using the new cooler. My 2nd batch was better after putting HOT water into the cooler to warm it up before mashing. It's a lot of fun!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
WDT
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Fresno, CA
Posts: 298
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts


Good luck, and take your time. It gets easier after this one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, California
Posts: 1,154
Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans11_gt
Hey all, as stated I'm taking the leap into All-Grain starting on Saturday. I bought all my ingredients last night from my LHBS for my Scotch Ale. Tonight I have to finish up my MLT Cooler but it didn't leak last night. Excited for the new endeavor, but hopefully I won't have too many screw ups. In the end I'll have beer I'm sure just hopefully I don't screw up the efficiency too bad.

Here's my recipe:

16lbs American 2-Row
8oz Crystal 120L
8oz Crystal 75L
8oz Roasted Barley
8oz Cara-Pils
3/4oz Magnum Hops (60 min)
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast

Beersmith says OG should be 1.090 I believe, so hopefully I hit somewhere around there. Starter will be made tonight.

Comments?
Good luck. Take your time and have some fun... But don't drink until after you're done! That helped my brew day out tremendously in the beginning. You'll do great!
__________________
Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
oceans11_gt
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Mosinee, WI
Posts: 53
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Thanks guys! Overall, the process seems no harder than doing extract brews just more time consuming. I'm definitely liking the ability to be able to manipulate so many variables and having more control. I guess I've caught the Homebrew Disease.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Doongie
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Madison, WI
Posts: 180
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts


I also recently made the jump to AG brewing, there is a sticky in this forum that is very helpful. One of the most hepful suggestions was:
[QUOTE="Jaybird"]If I may I would like to add. I would suggest have a game plan on paper the day before you mash in, with all your math calculated. and all your targets calculated also a game plan for "what to do if you dont hit those targets" this has helped me more than anything with a smooth running brewday. [QUOTE]

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
memphis, tennessee
Posts: 487
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts


good luck. don't stress too much during the brewday. just go with the flow. take notes. if something doesn't go right, its not a big deal. **** happens, and you'll still have beer at the end. just learn from that.

preheat your mash tun. have additional hot water on hand incase your strike temp is too low.

take pics. post them. let us know how it went.

but most importantly, have fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Brewtah
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 669
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts


Good luck, i want to take a leap after i have a few more batches under my belt.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
, California
Posts: 1,154
Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by motleybrews
good luck. don't stress too much during the brewday. just go with the flow. take notes. if something doesn't go right, its not a big deal. **** happens, and you'll still have beer at the end. just learn from that.

preheat your mash tun. have additional hot water on hand incase your strike temp is too low.

take pics. post them. let us know how it went.

but most importantly, have fun.
+1. Notes notes notes. You won't know just how important notes are until you screw up and make the best beer ever!! Take notes!
__________________
Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Komodo
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Bloomington, IN
Posts: 387
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy

+1. Notes notes notes. You won't know just how important notes are until you screw up and make the best beer ever!! Take notes!
This. I can't tell you how mnay times I've taken great notes, have the recipe and brewing process in my brew software only to find one little piece of info missing and I need it later to decipher the beer.


__________________
Primary:
Resting: Tripel Six 11g, Witch Hunter Light - robust porter 11g
Drinking: EagleFire pale - homegrown Santiam dryhop

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First AG Brew this Sat. Wish me luck!! twalstrom All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 23 01-01-2013 02:58 PM
First brew...Wish me luck! Ust311 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-28-2012 03:12 AM
2nd Brew Bad Luck...maybe Semper Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 01-16-2011 05:44 PM
Bad Luck Brew label Jmeisse Label Display & Discussion 4 01-03-2009 09:44 PM
Saturday brew day springer Home Brewing Photo Forum 6 04-30-2008 05:24 PM


Forum Jump