No Taste Beer!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkashiiBrew

Only drink when your all alone or with somebody el
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
#8 Munich
#2 Vienna
12 oz Cara Aroma
1 oz Fuggles first wort hops
1 oz EKG 30 minutes
WLP-028 for 2.5 gal (split batch in half)
WLP-007 for 2.5 gal

5gal batch OG 1.054. Mash temp 148.
end gravity after 2 weeks 1.009 and 1.008 (in order)

Was supposed to be a Red ale but I had lots of Munich on hand to use as the base malt. Looks to be about done based on SG. Fermented at 65-70 degrees with little day/night change. Took gravity reading and tasted the rest. Bummer, no flavor. Both taste very dry and bland. No malt taste. No hop zing, nada, zip, nothing. I get more taste from flat Coors Light. Suggestions on where I went wrong and what can I do. Dry hop? Add honey? Add homemade syrup? Bottle and pray and drink it after I have had a couple of my better beers first. The beer is still in the fermenters and is awaiting public opinion.

I recently brewed an Irish Red Ale and even after 3 weeks fermentation and 3 weeks bottle conditioning, I was very disappointed. No flavor, flat tasting and dry. It's amazing what another week did to this beer! The taste really developed and it has become one of my favorites. And it's getting better every day. Moral of the story? Patience, patience patience....it will get better. What it tastes like at this stage, is no indication of how it will end up.

I agree that you should just wait longer to try to start fixing a problem, it might turn out fine. The one suggestion I might have is to mash a bit higher. This will give you a little more body and malt flavor. According to the BJCP guidelines, an Irish red should have a FG of 1.010-1.014, so it looks like you are a bit low...not bad though.

Put in bottles 3 weeks later. Taste was amazing. Wish I could keg at this time so I could enjoy it sooner. Extra time fermenting helped it clear up nice too. Went 7 weeks from brewing to bottle. The Munich instead of 2-Row gave it a much rounder taste if you know what I am saying.

Put in bottles 3 weeks later. Taste was amazing. Wish I could keg at this time so I could enjoy it sooner. Extra time fermenting helped it clear up nice too. Went 7 weeks from brewing to bottle. The Munich instead of 2-Row gave it a much rounder taste if you know what I am saying.

Remember how long it took to get good. Kegging wouldn't have helped much.

Back