Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anybody use Rose Hips or Yarrow?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
morticus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 53 Posts

I'm going to be brewing a Saison this weekend and was thinking about adding either rose hips or some yarrow. Just curious if anyone has ever used these, and how did it turn out?

Happy Brew Year

Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Never brewed with rose hips, although I had a rose petal saison at a beer festival that was wonderful.

I have brewed with Yarrow before (garden fresh) and it ruined the beer. I only used a little but it gave off a strong medicinal herb and 'head shop,' type of flavor. If you do use Yarrow, a little goes a long way.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
morticus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15
Never brewed with rose hips, although I had a rose petal saison at a beer festival that was wonderful.

I have brewed with Yarrow before (garden fresh) and it ruined the beer. I only used a little but it gave off a strong medicinal herb and 'head shop,' type of flavor. If you do use Yarrow, a little goes a long way.
I had a cherry and yarrow Saison from a local brew pub. It was excellent, which made me want to try using yarrow sometime. I've never had a beer with rose in it, but I have some rose hips I got from NB and want to try them, just not sure what it will do to the beer.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1562 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 4076

Never tried yarrow, but I've used rose hips in mead. They'll add a red tinge & a citrusy flavour to your brew; depending on what type & how much you use. They're high in ascorbic acid, but I'm not sure just what the numbers are as far as percentages go.
Regards, GF.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
morticus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio
Never tried yarrow, but I've used rose hips in mead. They'll add a red tinge & a citrusy flavour to your brew; depending on what type & how much you use. They're high in ascorbic acid, but I'm not sure just what the numbers are as far as percentages go.
Regards, GF.
Do you add them to the boil or secondary? I've been doing some research on it and have been getting conflicting info.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1562 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 4076

Well, a bit of both, sort of. I used them in mead, so no boiling, but I did steep them in water before adding them, water & all, to my secondary; with a campden tablet to ward off any freeloading nasties.

I used dried rose hips from the hippie store's bulk section. They were pretty pricey, so to get more flavour with less, I added them to secondary.
Regards, GF.