Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > alcoholic aroma?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
Stout Man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default alcoholic aroma?

I just finished bottling my first extract batch of an irish stout. OG of 1.062 and just before I bottled it the FG was at 1.021. The highest the temperature got on the main fermenter was 74 F. It was only at that temperature for the first day only in the afternoon. At night it would dip to 68 to 70 F. After that the temperature was anywhere from 62 to 68. I have tasted it a few times and it does not have any distinguishable off tastes expect for tasting generally like apples or fruity. However after siphoning the beer into the bottling bucket all I could smell was alcohol. If I looked hard enough I could smell the roasted barley but otherwise the alcohol smell covered it up. It does not taste alcoholic however. I've been through John Palmer's website and can't really find anything. I've noticed that Guinness had a slight alcohol smell along with the barley after pouring. I did read that Guinness was fermented at 25 celcius or 77 fahrenheit. I have no idea if this is true. So basically whats up with the alcohol smell and how much of the fruity taste goes away? There is no overpowering alcohol or fruity taste and the beer tasted good. I'll be sure to figure out a way to keep temperature lower during the early stages of fermentation.

I've noticed that any Guinness I've had recently has had a hard time keeping consistent. Especially the 12 oz bottles with the plastic thing inside. Anyone else?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At the time you're transferring the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, it is still rather young/green and hasn't really developed into the glorious beverage it will become after a few weeks (or more depending) in the bottle.

True, fermenting warm will generally develop more fusels and esters depending on the yeast. Some of that can mellow as the beer matures too.

I get the big G so infrequently anymore that I couldn't comment on consistency. We have a local brewery dry stout that flat out rocks faces.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, when you transfer it into a big open container like a bucket it tends to release the alcohol smell a little more. I always smell it most in the bucket. I think you will be fine as long as it doesn't have any off taste. In the individual bottles the smell should not be present.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry ............I thought this thread was going to be about what alcoholics smell like.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 260

If I judged my beers by taste or smell at the primary or secondary stage, I'd have tossed a few batches.

Don't be misled by the aroma or taste at this stage of the game. Clear it, condition it, age it and chill it...then make a judgement.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Stout Man
Recipes 

So I bottled it on Thursday and opened my first bottle tonight. I can taste the roasted barley but after each drink there is a solvent like fume in my nostrils. The beer is very tingly on my tongue. I cleaned, then sanitized everything with Star San and then rinsed everything again. How does cardboard taste? Should I actually put some in my mouth to see if my beer is like that? Can the priming sugar oxidize if not cooled down enough when added to the beer? There seems like there are too many things that can go wrong.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 127 Posts

wait 3 more weeks, then open another bottle

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #8
Kayos
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer
wait 3 more weeks, then open another bottle
Gotta agree with Death here. 3 days isn't going to cut it. The hardest part is the wait. I wouldn't be able to make it 3 weeks, but at least 1.5-2. Nothing has changed in a couple of days.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

green apples and fruitiness indicate phenols and esters produced by slightly unhappy yeast. too warm, not enough oxygen, lack of nutrients (almost unheard of with beer making tho...more prone to wine and mead makers).

luckily, these age out over time. never judge a beer younger than 3 weeks in the bottle...and even then, 6 months from now it might be exponentially better.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Beer is an alcoholic beverage, therefore it should have an alcoholic aroma. Let the final product judge.Go by taste.