kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
Do you need a fridge to keep a keg, what if I kegged my 5 gallon batch and put it out side where its 30-40 dgrees? will the kegs explode it it gets too cold?

No need for fridge. I kegged for over 10 years with no fridge. My serving temp is around 60 or what ever my basement is. Just need longer lines

I wouldn't buy a used kegging system. You don't know how "clean" the person was before you. Sure, corny kegs are used, but are easily cleaned. It's the lines I wouldn't reuse. Heck even taps can be all scratched up and screwed up.

I'd just wait and pony up the cash for a new rig. But that's me.

Gary

You can definitely use kegs without it being cold. Like Eelpout said, you will need longer lines. You could keep the keg in an ice bath. You can also find a cheap fridge on CL. Stick the CO2 tank and keg inside and buy plastic picnic taps.

I wouldn't say don't buy used but I would recommend checking out it first. When you are buying a used set up you are really looking at the unit itself (if it runs and if it is in good shape) and the CO2 tank with reg. Those are the most expensive parts. The lines, hardware and taps are cheap (unless you go Perlick but even then they aren't bad).

Latest posts

Back