Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Missed my target volume big time!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
conneryis007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Missed my target volume big time!

Today I brewed denny's imperial oaked vanilla bourbon porter, scaled to a 8 gallon fermenter volume. I am just getting used to my new system and my target OG was supposed to be 1.078 and due to huge volume errors it ended up coming out to a OG of 1.1! Now this might not sound like a huge deal, less volume but stronger beer, the yeast I used (special London 1968) has a alcohol tolerance of only 9%. This means that the beer will only get down to 1.035. This is way sweeter than I was hoping for!

I see two options:

Dilute the beer in the fermenter with boiled and chilled water to a gravity of 1.078. When during fermentation would you do this?

Add a second higher alcohol strain of yeast when the first is dying due to the alcohol, such as US-05?

I would love to try to make this smaller volume, but higher alcohol beer using the second method, but I don't know how it would turn out with 2 different yeast strains pitched at different time in the fermentation.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

I always keep bottled spring water around in case something like this happens on brew day. I just add it too the boiling pot if my OG readings are to high. A couple of points won't make a difference either way, but that far off the OG will not make the beer you were brewing. I would dilute the beer before fermentation begins. I doubt 05 would even get that monster down to something that won't taste overly sweet. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
mrstevenund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've heard of champagne yeast to bring the gravity down.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
brussum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Having experienced this same issue, I've always wondered about diluting the hops while diluting the fermentables. Assuming you hit target volume with a specific gravity that is too high, wouldn't adding additional water create a less hoppy beer? How do you mitigate that?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by brussum View Post
Having experienced this same issue, I've always wondered about diluting the hops while diluting the fermentables. Assuming you hit target volume with a specific gravity that is too high, wouldn't adding additional water create a less hoppy beer? How do you mitigate that?
Sounds like the OP's boil off was a lot more than anticipated. So, diluting will have some effect on the IBU, but compared to the OG/FG being that far off, for me I'd rather dilute. Hop utilization will be different, but not a ridiculous amount.

If you've overshot you OG and hit your volume perfectly, then your efficiency was better than expected. Then you will have to make a decision. Like you said, if you add water, your diluting the bitterness as well as the wort at that point. That's always a 'game time' decision. How much water if any at all to add? (Depends on how many beers I've had while brewing that usually determines what happens then.)

Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I personally would dilute partially. Get yourself halfway there as a compromise. That way the other potential problems will be subtle while addressing your primary issue. My reasoning is...there's no perfect solution, so go easy.

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''