Help BCS 462 wiring Schematic/Advice - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Help BCS 462 wiring Schematic/Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
beluedog
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando_i View Post
Sorry for the total newb question here but I'm trying to decide whether or not to go ahead with a Kal style control panel or a BCS setup to run a single pot and pump. The reason why the BCS is on my radar is that eventually I will scale up to using a RIMS tube for mashing.

My question is why the selector switches? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the automation of the BCS? I had assumed you could run your BCS to your SSR's then to your heating elements. Or am I missing something?
If your planning on expanding makes sense to go with BCS IMHO.
Selector switch are Auto (BCS) | Off | ON (manual).

I added the manual in case the BCS crashes mid brew and for cleaning pumps and what not...



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
Brando_i
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Montreal, Qc
Posts: 21


Is the BCS known to crash? I assume manual mode would simply give full power to the element?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #13
beluedog
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando_i View Post
Is the BCS known to crash? I assume manual mode would simply give full power to the element?
Not know to crash. Yes full power. I would only expect it to be one for a few minutes if you needed to restart BCS.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
mateomtb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Pine, Co
Posts: 123
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


I use 3 way switches with my bcs and use them a lot to run things manually, mostly while I'm cleaning up to warm up some water or use the pumps. Not necessary but I would highly recommend using them. I have had my wireless freak out before and lost connectivity to the bcs which could leave you completely out of control at a critical moment. I pretty much use the ethernet line during the brew now just to be safe and only use wireless if I'm working on setting up some processess pre brew from the couch.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
beluedog
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mateomtb View Post
I use 3 way switches with my bcs and use them a lot to run things manually, mostly while I'm cleaning up to warm up some water or use the pumps. Not necessary but I would highly recommend using them. I have had my wireless freak out before and lost connectivity to the bcs which could leave you completely out of control at a critical moment. I pretty much use the ethernet line during the brew now just to be safe and only use wireless if I'm working on setting up some processess pre brew from the couch.
Good to know. Thanks. Would you do anything different with your setup knowing what you know now?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Maltose
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Frederick, MD
Posts: 471
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'm essentially building the same project, except with electric ball valves. Can't wait to see more progress, thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
ameliabrewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ameliabrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Virginia
Posts: 146
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I have been fighting the flu for a few days so forgive me if I missed something. But, you are using the BCS462 but then started mentioning Brewtroller. I thought these were different? Am I missing something?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #18
beluedog
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabrewery View Post
I have been fighting the flu for a few days so forgive me if I missed something. But, you are using the BCS462 but then started mentioning Brewtroller. I thought these were different? Am I missing something?
sorry for the miss quote. Just separating out whats controlling my brewing and my ferm/keezer.

Yes its all controlled by BCS 462

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
aubiecat
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Alexander City, Alabama
Posts: 1,197
Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts


I am going to have a similar system to this. My ferm unit are away from my brewing area so this is great information on how to set my BCS system.
What are you going to monitor the system with? Networked computer, etc.?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
beluedog
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aubiecat View Post
I am going to have a similar system to this. My ferm unit are away from my brewing area so this is great information on how to set my BCS system.
What are you going to monitor the system with? Networked computer, etc.?
Monitored via networked computer. Dedicated IP with port forwarding so I can see it from outside my LAN.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring schematic for switchable 110v/220v control panel critique needed WPStrassburg Electric Brewing 15 11-19-2013 04:02 AM
Need wiring advice, please help! akthor Kegerators & Keezers 10 05-07-2012 09:13 PM
No pump wiring schematic electric build help DPB Electric Brewing 11 04-01-2012 05:13 PM
Wiring schematic needed ThatsMyBeer Brew Stands 2 12-01-2011 05:33 PM
Is there any need for a stir plate wiring schematic? Anthony_Lopez Chillers & Stir Plates 13 10-30-2008 01:21 AM


Forum Jump