Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > March pump issues- help appreciated!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
WalterAtMarchPump
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Dumb question, but where did it go? The only thing I can think of is I clogged it up with grain on my last brewday and took the head off to clear it out. Maybe it fell out/off?
Depending on how the pump is used and how muh restriction it see's on the inlet side, the impeller can wear out the washer over time...remember its thin and teflon is a soft material... we have been playing around with some new materials that resist wearing VERY well and may see the production floor soon

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yoop: have you been oiling your pump?! if not do so, mine does so much better after a good oiling. two spots on opposite sides of the motor housing take 3 in 1 oil or another universal oil and that might solve the problem.

WalterAtMarchPump Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5928 Times on 4226 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
Yoop: have you been oiling your pump?! if not do so, mine does so much better after a good oiling. two spots on opposite sides of the motor housing take 3 in 1 oil or another universal oil and that might solve the problem.
Yes, and the motor runs like a dream! (I took the head off, and then ran it). It runs smoothly and quietly. I put the head back on, put water in the MLT (so I wouldn't run it when dry) and either nothing (most of the time) or a gawd-awful noise.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
WalterAtMarchPump

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
or a gawd-awful noise.
Hmmm....only times i see "awful" noises coming out of the pumps is when the pump head is completely dry...or the motor was tweaked from being dropped or somthing fell on it and hit it hard.....the motors sometimes run ok with no head on it but put a little resistance against it and it makes a nasty growling noise.....try this (assuming the thrust washer is not the issue as we think it is)
Fill up you pot with water and prime the system up....now before you turn on the pump close off the discharge of the pump and then turn it on....should run and be quiet....now when you open the valve slowly it will start to pump liquid....and most times if the thrust washer is the issue you wont be able to get the valve all the way open before it causes problems....but if its still making noise there may be other issues at hand...

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

bad seal ring? lube it with keg lube.

man I hate pump problems.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterAtMarchPump View Post
Hmmm....only times i see "awful" noises coming out of the pumps is when the pump head is completely dry...or the motor was tweaked from being dropped or somthing fell on it and hit it hard.....the motors sometimes run ok with no head on it but put a little resistance against it and it makes a nasty growling noise.....try this (assuming the thrust washer is not the issue as we think it is)
Fill up you pot with water and prime the system up....now before you turn on the pump close off the discharge of the pump and then turn it on....should run and be quiet....now when you open the valve slowly it will start to pump liquid....and most times if the thrust washer is the issue you wont be able to get the valve all the way open before it causes problems....but if its still making noise there may be other issues at hand...
Well, I fixed it and as suspected, the thrust washer was missing. So I replaced it, and tried it again.

When the pump head is not on the pump, the motor runs great. I replaced the washer, put the head back on, filled the MLT with water, primed it, and turned it on. It worked, but made a terrible noise. Not grinding, and not growling exactly but not normal. I flipped it off, and then turned it on again. Nothing! So I flipped it back off.

Thanks for all your help! I'll be finding a box and shipping it back for evaluation as I'm over my head here.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
DakotaPrerunner
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Try calling them and asking if they will put the washer in a standard letter envelope and mail it to you. I have had great luck arranging alternative shipping in the past.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Well, I fixed it and as suspected, the thrust washer was missing. So I replaced it, and tried it again.

When the pump head is not on the pump, the motor runs great. I replaced the washer, put the head back on, filled the MLT with water, primed it, and turned it on. It worked, but made a terrible noise. Not grinding, and not growling exactly but not normal. I flipped it off, and then turned it on again. Nothing! So I flipped it back off.

Thanks for all your help! I'll be finding a box and shipping it back for evaluation as I'm over my head here.
While it may feel good, I don't think putting up your middle finger at it will help...

Sorry for your woes.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
While it may feel good, I don't think putting up your middle finger at it will help...

Sorry for your woes.
Haha- well, I didn't think about giving it the bird. But I should have!

I took it off the stand, and took off my ballvalve, and will be sending it in to be looked at/repaired. Hopefully it's minor!

mariojr Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't worry yooper, it's probably just a slight mis alignment or something. If you are sending it in maybe you can have the larger impeller installed when it's being repaired.