another flat beer thread.... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > another flat beer thread....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
bperlmu
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Baltimore, Md
Posts: 71


I tasted my nut brown today after two weeks in the bottle and it is still completely flat... no change from when i tasted it last week... i know many people have had problems with beer not carbonating... but ive never had a beer this flat after two full weeks. do i just need to give it more time? roll the bottles around like some posts have suggested? I carbed it with 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in about a pint of water as I always do.


The flavors pretty good, so if it ever bubbles up it'll be a tasty beer
im hoping its just a slow carbonator

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
malkore
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts


sitting at room temp for two weeks?

what strain of yeast? OG and FG?

could definitely try inverting the bottles a few times, then wait a week and test again.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
grasshopper1917
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 428
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


I made a stout that was like that took about 2 months to develop a decent carbonation - personally i usually use a cup of sugar i find sometimes with 3/4 cups during the prime u get a little bit of a flat beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,030
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bperlmu
I tasted my nut brown today after two weeks in the bottle and it is still completely flat... no change from when i tasted it last week... i know many people have had problems with beer not carbonating... but ive never had a beer this flat after two full weeks. do i just need to give it more time? roll the bottles around like some posts have suggested? I carbed it with 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in about a pint of water as I always do.


The flavors pretty good, so if it ever bubbles up it'll be a tasty beer
im hoping its just a slow carbonator
Just an old man's musing here, but have you ever wondered why the big old breweries use one yeast to brew and another to bottle???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
Beerrific
 
Beerrific's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Georgia
Posts: 5,562
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmer
Just an old man's musing here, but have you ever wondered why the big old breweries use one yeast to brew and another to bottle???
I can think of three reasons:
1. ferment with proprietary strain
2. Bottling strain has better long term storage
3. Bottling strain flocculates and sticks to the bottom better

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,030
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
I can think of three reasons:
1. ferment with proprietary strain
2. Bottling strain has better long term storage
3. Bottling strain flocculates and sticks to the bottom better
Let's see now, how could that apply to this thread?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat beer eglidec Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-20-2009 10:29 PM
Flat beer Mencken Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 02-20-2009 04:47 PM
flat beer somedudefromneworleans Bottling/Kegging 7 02-09-2009 12:29 AM
Flat Beer pedalmedic Bottling/Kegging 3 11-26-2008 01:35 AM
Flat Beer? eurc51 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-22-2008 04:06 PM


Forum Jump